Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keezer w/Tower - Completed!  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Daniel

• 1st Kit
Keezer w/Tower - Completed!
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:06:39 pm »
You can see the whole build here:
Part 1 - =https://imgur.com/a/gzH4b
Part 2 - =https://imgur.com/a/IWWW5

++++++++++++++++++++++
Completed the build.
https://imgur.com/KMsWoLa
++++++++++++++++++++++
Update 10/30 - Finished.  So the short version.  The plywood recommendation worked.  Flange did not.  Thank you for the suggestion!

Have not completed the "plumbing." Will do that when son is back in town.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've purchased a 3 tap brushed stainless "T-Style" tower mount and want to install it onto my keezer lid.  Couple of concerns and would like to know how people handled previously.  Concerns:
  • I need to know if I need to reinforce the connection with the top so it doesn't rip out of the metal.
  • Any suggestions on keeping the tower cold?
Thanks in advance.
++++++++++++++++++++
Update - 10/28/17
Here are the photos of where build is currently.  A couple of issues that I wanted to tackle and then how I ended up handling.  Still have some tweaks, but by end of day should have tower and drip tray mounted.
  • Freezer model - Magic Chef HMCF7W2 - 6.9 cu ft freezer - Home Depot closeout $169

Built three sided enclosure on casters.  Stained with ebony furniture stain.  Will cover with weathered boards. Will also mount supports inside to limit how much top will open.

Had to replace hinges. Original are plastic and would work for regular top, but not with additional wood, draft tower, drain.

Wanted to reinforce tower on the underside of the keezer lid.

Just wanted the flange.  It fits very nicely inside the base of the tower.

Will be drilling hole into lid and mounting plate today.  Will use construction adhesive on the underside and seal the top with silicone.

Drip tray. Will be mounting on surface of plywood and the weathered boards will give it a built-in appearance.

Tower, pre-mount.  Have Perlick faucets that will be affixed later.

Weathered boards.  Wife will layout the pattern. Will glue and tack on with panel nails.  Sealing after mounting.

Four used pin-locks.  Got new lids and o-rings.  Also picked up 10# refurbished CO2 tank.  Filled while I wait at local gas supply spot.

That's it for now.  Will post more photos after today's work session.
    As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:45:12 am by Daniel »

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Re: Tower mount on keezer top?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »
I’ve had two 2 tap towers on top of my keezer for a year now with no reinforcement and it’s been fine. Not sure how much heavier a 3 tap tower would be, but if I were you I would think about reinforcing it. Even though mine are fine without, I remember being 50/50 about reinforcing it when I was building it - it seemed to me to be at the limit of what it could bear for my 2 tap towers, so I reckon a 3tap tower might push it over the edge.

As far as cooling the tower goes, I wouldn’t bother. I live in Australia and haven’t felt the need to cool mine. The first pour is slightly foamy, but not enough for me to care about. I know a lot of other folks do cool them, though - probably lots of DIY designs on the net...

Offline Daniel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I will post pictures of the keezer (mid-build) and the tower/drain pan when I get back in town.  I have a muffin fan for air circulation within the unit and am planning on rigging a cooling hose from the base of the unit up into the tower. 

My thoughts on reinforcement are to use PVC tubing essentially as a tube that the tower slides onto.  I'd really like a plate of some kind on the underside of the freezer lid, but not sure that is readily available. I don't have the resources to fabricate a stainless steel (or other metal) plate to fit on the lid. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
Some chest freezers have hard foam insulation sandwiched between the inner and outer skins and some use just fiberglass batting. Mine has the solid foam and the tower doesn't move at all. A friend has one with the batting and the tower pitches quite a bit every time you pull a beer. If you see any noticeable movement I would recommend some sort of reinforcement. Sooner or later it's bound to fail to some degree.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
Plywood plate with spray urethane insulation in the nooks and crannies some builders adhesive on the flat surfaces and silicone thread sealer on the mounting bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk