Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming with AJC for bottling (cider)  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Jennifer

• 1st Kit
Priming with AJC for bottling (cider)
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:53:23 am »
I'm sorry if this has been asked before I have searched the forum and haven't found anything exact, but all over the internet I am getting mixed answers.

I have my first cider in the primary, I've made 3 gallons of fresh pressed apple juice, brought to 160 for 30 minutes, added organic cinnamon sticks and 2 cups brown sugar. Cooled to 80,  then transferred to my primary and topped off with 1 gallon fresh pressed juice. I added Whirlfloc tablet and yeast nutrient, pitched Wyeast 1028. OG was 1.061, will be testing tonight (been in primary for 2 weeks and fermentation seems to have stopped.) If I get my FG at 1.000, is it okay to prime with organic apple juice concentrate and let sit in the primary then bottle or will I get bombs? (I'm not kegging as my system is in storage due to previous move into rental, now moving into purchased home)

Any recommendations for the this batch/future?

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
Re: Priming with AJC for bottling (cider)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:15:32 pm »
I've primed mead with apple juice and honey with great results a bit slower than using sucrose or dextrose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jennifer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »
I've primed mead with apple juice and honey with great results a bit slower than using sucrose or dextrose

Thank you! So you think it should be fine as long as its fermented dry?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:17 am »
It depends on how much sugar you are adding. In general, each gravity point adds about half of a volume of CO2. The typical ferment ends up at around 1 volume of CO2 before priming, and a bottled cider would probably range from 2.0 vol to 3.0 vol of CO2. You'd want to add enough concentrate to add 2-4 gravity points to whatever your FG measures as.

In other words, if your cider finished at 1.000, you want to add enough concentrate to get between 1.002 (light fizz)  to 1.004 (very fizzy). I'd target the middle range, personally.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:21:42 am »
As long as you don't add too much

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 11:41:33 am »
You can add apple juice or apple juice concentrate right at bottling--you just need to account for the amount of sugar. Whatever amount you would use of priming sugar needs to be the same amount of sugar in the juice concentrate you add.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline shimlahill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 02:10:09 am »
Apple Juice Concentrate]https://www.sunimpex.biz/product/apple-juice-concentrate/[url]Apple Juice Concentrate[/url] is a versatile ingredient with its neutral color and flavor. Use as a sweetener, or to enhance other fruit characteristics in candies, frozen novelties, fruit snacks, jams, jellies, sauces and beverages