Author Topic: Designing/converting recipes for 'ultra-short' boils?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Designing/converting recipes for 'ultra-short' boils?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
Sorry if I contributed to thread drift.  I didn't mean any disrespect with my question about your motivation to brew with shorter boils.  It's just something I've never done in my 14 years of brewing, and I wondered what the motivation was.  I appreciate learning from the experience of others on this forum, and part of that is feeling free to ask questions. 

I'm glad shorter boils are working for you, but did you consider this?  If you did longer boils, you would have more time to up your post count with the Song Titles thread.  Sweet.

Offline Brew'n w Kopper Kat

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Designing/converting recipes for 'ultra-short' boils?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
Sorry if I contributed to thread drift.  I didn't mean any disrespect with my question about your motivation to brew with shorter boils.  It's just something I've never done in my 14 years of brewing, and I wondered what the motivation was.  I appreciate learning from the experience of others on this forum, and part of that is feeling free to ask questions. 

Apology accepted.  I'm not offended by the thread drift - in a number of previous topics, something slightly off topic has proven to be valuable to me.

I brew a mix of BIAB and DME, typically in the 2-3 gallon range.  My BIAB process is pretty traditional - typically a 60 minute mash / boil for darker styles and a 30 min mash/boil for lighter, hop forward styles.  With my existing DME recipes (all are in the 44 - 60 OG range), I'm settling in on a 30 minute boil (rather than 60, 45, or 15).   Recently, my "experimental" DME batches have involved shorter boils and either hop bursting or hop steeping.  There appear to interesting tasty things that one can do with DME other than use it as a substitute for 2-row malt at 60.