Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A constellation of cannabis?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
A constellation of cannabis?
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:47 am »
   I saw on the news that Constellation Brands has purchased a 9.9% stake in Canopy Growth corp., which is the world's largest publicly traded cannabis grower, with the stated intent being to develop cannabis infused alcoholic beverages in anticipation of cannabis' eventual legalization in the U.S.
   What is everyone's take on this story?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: A constellation of cannabis?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:05:49 am »
They are a company in a market that is mostly flat looking to invest in a market with high growth potential. Makes sense to me.

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:25:51 am »
I have brewed cannabis beer in the past and it was yucky
The laws here in Canada are pretty clear on cannabis and alcohol being combined  it's forbidden
Although I'm sure adding it to a home brew would be ok/unenforceable. The new laws don't even allow for the two substance to be sold under the same roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »
   From what I got out of the news stories, Constellation doesn't seem to be overly concerned about the Canadian beverage market, and Canopy see's opportunities in Constellation's distribution network and organization.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:59:42 pm »
Canadian Bevarage market is very small

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »
Canadian Bevarage market is very small

I bet.  Who could afford to drink there?  I remember buying beer up there a few years back and it was crazy expensive! 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline JosyPaigan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 11:07:40 am »
Even though they legalized it, they sell it in small plastic bags. It looks like I buy something illegal, even though it's perfectly legal. As I've noticed, this is mostly done in cheap stores. I recently bought marijuana here -- MODERATOR EDIT-- and I got a wonderful package that can be used next time. Yes, it may be a small thing, but it's still nice to get such a package. In general, I do not like all these plastic bags and cups. I always try to buy things that can be easily disposed of or recycled, without harming the environment. It is a pity that not all people understand this, and people who don't understand harm the planet.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:47:02 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:59:15 pm »
I have listened to a lot of beer marketing seminars and every single one of them said that "cannabis is not your friend" (of the beer industry). The fear is that cannabis is going to be taking a larger and larger share out of beer and spirit profits as it becomes more legal, less stigmatized and more available. Obviously Constellation is trying to diversify against this threat.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 03:23:29 pm »
Wow... the pot bots are out of control, eh?

I'm all for legalizing everything, but I don't think cannabis will make a huge dent in beer sales if it becomes fully legal. The sales will just go from being illicit to being legal.

I do think that it makes excellent business sense for the beer/alcohol conglomerates to get in on the action. They are best poised to market and distribute, since they are already in a highly regulated market for a similar type of product. There is bound to be significant overlap from a marketing and sales/distribution perspective.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 06:16:17 am »
I predict Cheetos sales will steadily rise.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 06:51:09 am »
I'm all for legalizing everything, but I don't think cannabis will make a huge dent in beer sales if it becomes fully legal. The sales will just go from being illicit to being legal.

The result is yet to be seen, but I agree with you with respect to beer.  However, I do believe the spirits industry will feel an impact due the difference in use between beer and spirits.  Spirits have a much larger audience than beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 08:50:19 am »

I'm just quoting what the marketing experts have been warning. For what it's worth they are usually correct. They certainly nailed the Seltzer thing.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 09:09:57 am »
There is bound to be significant overlap from a marketing and sales/distribution perspective.

I would have thought so too, but it has not been the case, at least here in LA.  The whole vibe is completely different (the marketing, the retail experience, etc.).

The difference between the cannabis store and the liquor store is night and day.  At least with the better shops out here, it is a much higher end experience (think of the Apple store without the attitude and with a staff that is actually friendly and interested in helping you find what you're after).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 10:24:28 am »
I have been growing my own cannabis for several years. Meaning it's free.  Has not in any way affected my consumption of beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:47 am »
In legalized states there are CBD and THC infused beverages. Very little surprise that alcohol conglomerates would want to move into that space. Not only does it offset any losses to their alcohol sales but it's pretty much certain that at least most states in the next decade or two will legalize and create huge markets for those products.

Here in the Denver area there are dispensaries all over (with home delivery coming in the next few months) with easy access to those beverages but the alcoholic beverage market is doing just fine.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing