Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A constellation of cannabis?  (Read 5000 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: A constellation of cannabis?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 02:36:08 pm »
I have been growing my own cannabis for several years. Meaning it's free.  Has not in any way affected my consumption of beer.

Yep. How many seltzers do you consume every week again?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 08:33:34 am »
I have been growing my own cannabis for several years. Meaning it's free.  Has not in any way affected my consumption of beer.

Yep. How many seltzers do you consume every week again?

Hmm, lesseee......😁
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 12:35:24 pm »
Hahahaha ... I'd drink a cannabis infused seltzer ... herein lies the problem.  ;)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 01:50:29 pm »

I can't wait for Ohio to legalize weed so I can grow my own. WTF! Sure, I know, I can grow it now but I like to move within the confines of legalities. I don't want to risk losing  my home so I have to wait and continue to purchase from peops who don't necessarily care about those legalities.

I think alcohol, in all its forms, is way more problematic than weed and its derivatives both from a health and societal aspects.

Also, its not so much the fact that it would be "free" but at least I would know that it would be free of bulls*** chemicals and the shadow s*** that's associated with underground production.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 03:21:04 am »

I think alcohol, in all its forms, is way more problematic than weed and its derivatives both from a health and societal aspects.

I totally agree. Human beings have a complicated relationship with alcohol. The most stoned I have ever been has been relatively innocuous compared to the most drunk I have ever been. I'm totally in favor of legalization.

But just like alcohol it's the taxation that becomes complicated. Then it gets even more complicated when big business gets involved. In a perfect world everyone would brew their own and grow their own.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:25:45 am by majorvices »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 06:14:38 am »
I don’t think there are many people left who don’t see alcohol as the most destructive drug. I guess opioids and some other hard drugs are more dangerous to individuals but in terms of overall harm alcohol takes the cake. I am not sure what to do about it, certainly not prohibition. I do think the amount of advertising that romanticizes drinking is out of control and restricting tobacco advertising worked to reduce smoking as part of an overall approach.
Some countries have legalized or decriminalized all narcotics and have seen a decrease in overdoses. I think that’s worth trying, along with treating addiction as the disease it is and treating it instead of making it worse by turning addicts into criminals.
Weed legalization seems to be working well here in Massachusetts. There is the occasional corrupt local official trying to take bribes as is the case with any big money operation but I am  sure plenty of palms get greased for liquor licenses too.
It’s nice to be able to grow it legally, I am an avid gardener and someone who is really into it gives us great plants of different varieties every year. They are beautiful and fun to grow. Ironically I loved smoking pot as a teenager and there was a shortage at the time so it was always hard to get and we were smoking resin from pipes and had to often go into Worcester and buy it on the street which was super scary. Now my wife and I are super light users and we have to give most of what we grow away, which is legal. We laugh because when we cure it and trim it in the cellar in fall we track it all over the house and find pieces of bud on the floor that we would have killed for when we were 17 and had to scrap for a piece of crappy brown weed.
I think eventually states will see their neighbors raking in the revenue and it will be legal everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:16:20 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 08:11:31 am »
We laugh because when we cure it and trim it in the cellar in fall we track it all over the house and find pieces of bud on the floor that we would have killed for when we were 17 and had to scrap for a piece of crappy brown weed.

This made me laugh out loud and brought back those memories of "Ditch Weed". Which was just weeds. Gathered in a ditch. That didn't get you stoned. But that you just spent $20 on.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 08:37:26 am »
We laugh because when we cure it and trim it in the cellar in fall we track it all over the house and find pieces of bud on the floor that we would have killed for when we were 17 and had to scrap for a piece of crappy brown weed.

This made me laugh out loud and brought back those memories of "Ditch Weed". Which was just weeds. Gathered in a ditch. That didn't get you stoned. But that you just spent $20 on.

Full disclosure: I've never used weed or any drug other than alcohol (no judgement, just not interested) but the "ditch weed" comment made me chuckle. 

When I was kid we had volunteer marijuana (a.k.a. Hemp) all over the farm.  It was a remnant of having raised Hemp for rope and such, back when that was a cash crop in Northern Iowa.  We would see people sneaking into our fields, along fence lines, to harvest "free weed".  We didn't bother to tell them they could smoke it all day and never get high.  Hemp, which was a specific breed, doesn't have a noticeable amount of THC in it.  Hemp plants are huge and I'm sure they thought they were hitting the mother load from 10-20 13' tall plants.  If they wanted to cut it out of fence lines we weren't going to stop them.  Although we would put up a sign or two after we had sprayed it with herbicide, not all farms did.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 09:08:00 am »

Full disclosure: I've never used weed or any drug other than alcohol (no judgement, just not interested) but the "ditch weed" comment made me chuckle. 

When I was kid we had volunteer marijuana (a.k.a. Hemp) all over the farm.  It was a remnant of having raised Hemp for rope and such, back when that was a cash crop in Northern Iowa.  We would see people sneaking into our fields, along fence lines, to harvest "free weed".  We didn't bother to tell them they could smoke it all day and never get high.  Hemp, which was a specific breed, doesn't have a noticeable amount of THC in it.  Hemp plants are huge and I'm sure they thought they were hitting the mother load from 10-20 13' tall plants.  If they wanted to cut it out of fence lines we weren't going to stop them.  Although we would put up a sign or two after we had sprayed it with herbicide, not all farms did.

Paul

Having grown up in IA, I was one of those people sneaking into fields and along riverbanks looking for it.  And it worked just like you describe!  I remember seeing cars with out of state license plates pulling Uhaul trailers loaded with it.  This was probably around 1966-67.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:46:37 am »

I'm all for legalizing everything, but I don't think cannabis will make a huge dent in beer sales if it becomes fully legal. The sales will just go from being illicit to being legal.

I'm just quoting what the marketing experts have been warning. For what it's worth they are usually correct. They certainly nailed the Seltzer thing.

I've seen some CBD seltzer in the liquor store. I kind of think it'll take away from seltzer more than beer, although all the craft breweries making seltzer might see a dip in their seltzer sales.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 09:55:57 am »
There are some hemp farms in Massachusetts again. Last fall in the next town over two guys were caught red handed by cops with what they thought was a van full of Marijuana. The funniest part to me: they were in their forties.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:09:50 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline waterbull66

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 10:42:26 am »
   I remember the days of $6 to $10 for a four finger bag of green Mexican ditch weed, which was an appropriate price for the stuff. I'm glad that when I did partake of the left handed Lucky Strikes it was still inexpensive, at least compared to today. Two of three hours wages would buy you a lid, or a ticket to a concert where of course you really didn't need to take your own as the air in the arena would get you there.
   I quit very many years ago after it occurred to me that I might enjoy life more if I was awake enough to actually experience it. Now that I'm old[er] and more prone to waking up in the wee small hours and not able to get back to sleep, were it legal here I'd probably keep some sleepy time weed on hand just for those times.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 12:36:01 pm »
I remember when a dime bag was a legitimate $10 worth of pot. And a nickel bag would get you and a buddy stoned .... maybe 2 or 3 times.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 01:51:50 pm »
I remember when a dime bag was a legitimate $10 worth of pot. And a nickel bag would get you and a buddy stoned .... maybe 2 or 3 times.

If you can remember, it didn't happen.   ;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 01:58:39 pm »

Well since we are talking costs.... Subic Bay 1982 a bar in Olongapo City upstairs with a pool table, chairs, and ladies of the local profession on Magsaysay St. $5 for what is remembered to be about an ounce of some of the blackest bestest smoke I ever smoked. No way to risk taking back onto the ship so handed off to a mate. I could go on and on with some of the greatest memories.