Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st ESB From A Scratch Recipe  (Read 3982 times)

Offline JohnstonGold75

• 1st Kit
1st ESB From A Scratch Recipe
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:51:14 pm »
Well, I've got 3 All Grain batches under my belt so far. All of those were recipes I found and scaled to my system. There were maybe 1 or 2 things I added or did differently, but for the most part I stuck with the original idea.

I've been doing some research on ESB's. I'm shooting for something that's malt forward, nice mouth feel, depth of flavor. I thought I'd post the recipe to get some feedback from more experienced brewers.

I brew 5 Gallon batches.

ABV: 5.96 %
OG: 1.058 SG
FG: 1.012 SG
IBUs: 24.3
IBUs Color: 12.2 SRM

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: 1st ESB From A Scratch Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »
Try 8-12% eng med Crystal and Maris Otter.  25% caramel malts plus brown sugar is counteractive and likely going to be muddled.  Simpler is better.  Hop schedule looks ok.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline JohnstonGold75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
Try 8-12% eng med Crystal and Maris Otter.  25% caramel malts plus brown sugar is counteractive and likely going to be muddled.  Simpler is better.  Hop schedule looks ok.

Should I keep the brown sugar or ditch it?

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »
Personally, I would ditch the brown sugar.  Sounds like blatz concurs.  I've never seen that in an ESB recipe. 

Offline JohnstonGold75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »
Personally, I would ditch the brown sugar.  Sounds like blatz concurs.  I've never seen that in an ESB recipe.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:03:27 am »
My first impression is too much crystal, and I agree that the sugar and crystal are counter productive. hop schedule looks good. When making my ESB I try to stick to the following ratio more or less. 88% base, 10% crystal/adjunct, 2% color/dark malt.

remember cystal malt adds color but also a lot of flavor, and it can be used sparingly. if you are adding mid/dark crystal for color you can always use less and add a touch of dark malt for color.

sugar on the other hand (even brown sugar) does the opposite. it will ferment out almost completely and is usually used to dry out a beer (lighten the body, while maintaining alcohol content).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:22:14 am »
I find the bottled version of Fullers ESB we get in the US to be too sweet compared to the cask version in the UK. The bottled version is stronger in ABV, and is a different recipe.

John Keeling of Fullers was interviewed on a Can You Brew It episode on the Brewing Network, and his recipe was only 5-6% Crystal malt. No sugar either.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:54:57 am »
I find the bottled version of Fullers ESB we get in the US to be too sweet

I think so too, although the draft (beer engine) I've had were stateside and I'm sure its not the same.

I looked and my ESB is 92.5% MO/7.5% English dark Crystal 70-80L, as a data point of reference.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:30:27 pm »
I concur with the grain adjustments from above and would also state that you will probably want more IBU's in your finished product to balance out the crystal malt. Maybe consider shooting for 35-45 IBU's depending on your preference?

Offline JohnstonGold75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:49:22 pm »
Really great information here! Thank you for the advice.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:32 am »
I concur with the grain adjustments from above and would also state that you will probably want more IBU's in your finished product to balance out the crystal malt. Maybe consider shooting for 35-45 IBU's depending on your preference?
I'm with that suggestion for what I like in an ESB, worth noting that (1) 2008 BJCP caps the style at 35 IBUs and (2) I thought it was interesting that the OP was going for a malt-forward ESB. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 07:03:07 am »

+1.  My first thought: Need more hops!  Bittering especially.  Aim for at least 32 IBUs if not 35-38.

I'd also use 1/3 as much crystal malts, consider 1/2 as much brown sugar or zero.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 09:38:38 am »
I'm with that suggestion for what I like in an ESB, worth noting that (1) 2008 BJCP caps the style at 35 IBUs and (2) I thought it was interesting that the OP was going for a malt-forward ESB.

2015 guidelines go up to 50 IBU for strong bitter.

35 IBU is good for Fullers ESB (only ESB in the UK,as that is trademarked), which is a malt showcase.
This may help.
https://byo.com/stories/item/2318-fuller’s-the-pride-of-london
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:28 am »
I'd actually say the brown sugar is an interesting idea. I've got a British homebrewing book that suggests simply using table sugar if invert is unavailable. Since invert is blended with molasses to approximate the darker invert versions, I see brown sugar (table sugar + molasses) being an interesting idea.

I usually use about 10% invert, sometimes more in my bitters.

I agree with others though, more hops and less caramel malt. If the sugar seems to thin the beer out too much without all that caramel malt, decrease the carbonation, it'll help make is seem "thicker".
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:56:53 am »
I'd actually say the brown sugar is an interesting idea. I've got a British homebrewing book that suggests simply using table sugar if invert is unavailable. Since invert is blended with molasses to approximate the darker invert versions, I see brown sugar (table sugar + molasses) being an interesting idea.

I usually use about 10% invert, sometimes more in my bitters.

I agree with others though, more hops and less caramel malt. If the sugar seems to thin the beer out too much without all that caramel malt, decrease the carbonation, it'll help make is seem "thicker".

From a guy who knows his bitters.... ;)