Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactobacillus  (Read 2562 times)

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Lactobacillus
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:45 am »
I'm attempting my first sour brew - just kettle souring. I was surprised at how expensive the Wyeast 5335 was and was wondering if there is any advantage in purchasing that over making a starter from some active yogurt? Has anyone had experience with growing lactobacillus from base malt, yogurt, probiotics vs. bought strains?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lactobacillus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:50 am »
A handful of raw grain in the beer has worked well for me.  These days I might use sour cream or yogurt instead to get a more pure pitch.  It doesn't take a lot.  Just needs time to act.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:11:24 am »
Thanks for the reply - have you ever used a bought a 'brewer's' strain that you could compare and comment on?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:13:18 am »
I use a l. plantarum probiotic providing something like 10 billion cells.  I usually do a 2L starter to drop the pH of the wort below 4.5 to keep out the nasty bugs from doing their damage.

I used to just throw in some malt, but the probiotic is more convenient.

Also Wyeast 5335 is a very mild lacto.  It is not capable of creating an intense sour as it only eats glucose, but on the positive side by the same token it doesn't pose much of risk of infecting your non-sours. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:29:18 am »
The wyeast and white lab strains are pretty unimpressive for kettle souring. They work okay in the blends those labs sell. One of the best non-brewing lab sources is Goodbelly juice, which has l. plantarum. Cheap, widely available.

If you wanted to buy from a lab, Omega's lacto cultures are used a lot for kettle souring.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:08:50 am »
Good belly shots are cheap and reliable. Two shots to 5-6 gallons is reliably soured in 24-36 hours. Four shots cost between $5-6.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:36:29 am »
Good belly shots are cheap and reliable. Two shots to 5-6 gallons is reliably soured in 24-36 hours. Four shots cost between $5-6.
I use the GoodBelly pills - same lacto.

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:55:22 pm »
Thanks all - sounds like probiotics is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:55:55 am »
I think all of the suggested Lacto approaches are fine, since they all provide a good source.  Brett on the other hand should be from the yeast makers to make sure the pitch is pure, IMHO.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"