Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Style of the Month brewing calendar  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Iambabsy

• 1st Kit
Style of the Month brewing calendar
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:15:29 pm »
Our club has a style of the month calendar.  We set up the annual calendar so folks can brew to the style and bring their brew to meetings to share and discuss.  It helps to learn about new styles and to get out of your comfort zone when brewing.  I'm looking for input from other clubs. Do you have a similar program? Would you be willing to share your calendar? I'm looking for some new ideas.

Offline twiggy2164

• 1st Kit
Re: Style of the Month brewing calendar
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:11:03 am »
We do quarterly club competitions. Styles chosen randomly.  We also get with a local brewery once a year and purchase unboiled wort, each brewer gets to do their own thing with it. Really fun event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Style of the Month brewing calendar
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:22 pm »
Our club has a style of the month calendar.  We set up the annual calendar so folks can brew to the style and bring their brew to meetings to share and discuss.  It helps to learn about new styles and to get out of your comfort zone when brewing.  I'm looking for input from other clubs. Do you have a similar program? Would you be willing to share your calendar? I'm looking for some new ideas.

Here’s how the Mountain Top Mashers do.  Around October we discuss next years competition and we vote on styles, each person picks 3 and we synthesize. We give out the styles for the following year in November and generally we have beers in January and February that can be turned around fairly quickly. This year January was Irish and Scottish ales, 14 and 15 BJCPStyles.

February is Neipa, March is a variety of Belgian beers and April is a variety of lager.  We give ourselves enough time to make a lager, plus its colder where we live so that helps if you don’t have a fridge for control.
We do mostly ales from May till September where we start doing things like fruit and spiced, strong beers and sours, the things that take some time to turn around, or are more seasonal for holidays. December is always brew your best. Where we get random everything.

When we pick styles we try to think of the time of year that beer is typically drunk and how long it takes to make a good one. 

Our club is trying to come out with the next years styles earlier than November/October.

Hope this helps or gives you an idea.
Every month we judge based on BJCPStyles, winner gets 4 points everyone 4th place and beyond gets 1 point. At the end of the year you add up your points and the winner is the homebrewer of the year. Which is me this year.  :)
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."