Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: funky buddha morning wood imperial porter recipe?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
funky buddha morning wood imperial porter recipe?
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:19:07 am »
Hey all

Had a Funky Buddha yesterday at local brew house. Anyone ever seen a recipe for it? would love to brew it.

thx

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: funky buddha morning wood imperial porter recipe?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:12:34 pm »
Never heard of that one!  But if you like imperial porters, I highly recommend you brew Denny's BVIP.  I like it best with the original recipe, using WY1450 and Denny's suggestion of using Jim Beam Black. 

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:13 am »

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:57:56 pm »
Thanks,

Just to make sure, we are talking about this one?

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1328021/dennys-bvip-bourbon-vanilla-imperial-porter-5-gal

Yep, that looks like the one!  I've scaled the grain amounts a bit to fit my system's efficiency.  I end up adding 375 mL Jim Beam Black to the keg.  I've tried it with Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace too, but I like the Jim Beam Black the best.  This beer is a hit with everyone, and I brew a batch each year to secure my deer-hunting land.  Gotta love the barter system.  Go for it!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:47 am »
I too have brewed this with different bourbons. JB Black, Makers, and Old Forrester.  I’m doing another in the next 2 weeks. I’m splitting a 10 gallon batch with Early Times and Basil Hayden. I’m making the Basil Hayden for someone else. I used to think the bourbon didn’t matter, but it does. I did not like the Old Forrester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »
I too have brewed this with different bourbons. JB Black, Makers, and Old Forrester.  I’m doing another in the next 2 weeks. I’m splitting a 10 gallon batch with Early Times and Basil Hayden. I’m making the Basil Hayden for someone else. I used to think the bourbon didn’t matter, but it does. I did not like the Old Forrester.

Wow, Basil Hayden is some fairly spendy stuff.  Good thing you don't need a whole lot of it!  I have a batch ready to rack onto beans now.  My 1450 was not ready, so I went with WY1728 Scottish Ale on this one.  We'll see how it turns out.  I plan to do another batch with 1450 once I grow enough yeast. 

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:07:53 am »
Question.

Is one pack of the Wyeast labs 1450 enough for this almost 9% beer?

Thx

Z

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »
Make you a starter and it will be perfect.

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »

Wow, Basil Hayden is some fairly spendy stuff.  Good thing you don't need a whole lot of it!  I have a batch ready to rack onto beans now.  My 1450 was not ready, so I went with WY1728 Scottish Ale on this one.  We'll see how it turns out.  I plan to do another batch with 1450 once I grow enough yeast.
I’ve never been one to spend on bourbon. He brought me the Basil. I’ll drink what is left. I can’t wait for this beer to be ready.

Jeff B