Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acid cleaning draft lines  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Acid cleaning draft lines
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:24 pm »

So would lye really work differently from BLC or just faster?  Is LLC already more concentrated than BLC?

They work the same way.  LLC is stronger and probably works faster.  BLC uses a blend of potassium and sodium hydroxide for the purpose of being less harmful to metals and it still cleans lines very well given enough contact time. 

Using BLC then LLC or a home mixed lye solution is a step that only the most obsessive line cleaners take.

But like I said before, if you only leave BLC in the line for 15 minutes and you brew a lot of hoppy beers, the line might not be super clean in that amount of time.

I'm kind of betting that frequent cleaning has a similar effect over time to longer less frequent contact.

And wow, you and Stevie need to relax and have a caustic-free beer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:52 pm »

I'm kind of betting that frequent cleaning has a similar effect over time to longer less frequent contact.

All of my home brews are poured from caustic free lines that were filled with an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS caustic solution for 2-10 days.  The caustic in the line could liquefy a corpse given enough time.  It would take a lot longer than 15 minutes at room temperature and pressure.  Just saying.   :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »

All of my home brews are poured from caustic free lines that were filled with an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS caustic solution for 2-10 days.  The caustic in the line could liquefy a corpse given enough time.  It would take a lot longer than 15 minutes at room temperature and pressure.  Just saying.   :)

Hey, glad to see a lighter tone developing here.  But on the subject of protecting forgetful selves or clueless guests, rather than removing a line, it occurs to me, why not just put a bag over the faucet?  Like the gas station does when a pump is out of order.  Seems simpler, and takes so little effort it hardly seems like a mark of paranoia!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:20 pm »
Hey, glad to see a lighter tone developing here.  But on the subject of protecting forgetful selves or clueless guests, rather than removing a line, it occurs to me, why not just put a bag over the faucet?  Like the gas station does when a pump is out of order.  Seems simpler, and takes so little effort it hardly seems like a mark of paranoia!

It's ok Robert.  The sign of a good question is one that creates contention.  It's obvious you are capable of handling caustics in a home brewery.  Some people have determined how to do something 'the right way' and can't think about how to do it any other way safely.  You already have.  Way ahead of the curve.  Pretty soon you will be brewing better beer than everyone here except for me.   ;D

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:15 pm »
You know I just rejoined AHA after letting my membership lapse about 25 years ago (have I been lazy or just really busy brewing? )  Two things that didn't exist back then are online forums and any decent knowledge about cleaning and sanitation.   All great advancements come at the price of some aggravation, don't they? ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:07 pm »
You know I just rejoined AHA after letting my membership lapse about 25 years ago (have I been lazy or just really busy brewing? )  Two things that didn't exist back then are online forums and any decent knowledge about cleaning and sanitation.   All great advancements come at the price of some aggravation, don't they? ;)

Sorry that the forum became a bit contentious over your initial post - we usually agree on things or quickly agree to disagree peacefully.  For example, the homebrewer now has antimicrobial beer lines available to him (though some say it is a waste of money and prefer to simply swap out lines more frequently at around 1/3 of the cost or to stay on top of the cleaning process keg to keg - either way works, if you are happy with the results). 

Innovations are sometimes embraced and sometimes dismissed; unfortunately, we sometimes really put our faith into a product and are not willing to be dissuaded; other times, we don't have the means of measuring the product's efficacy and fall prey to anecdotal evidence presented.  in the end, you should look at things for what will work best/easiest in your situation. 

Anyway, Cheers to a long time brewer!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 03:15:39 pm »
For example, the homebrewer now has antimicrobial beer lines available to him (though some say it is a waste of money and prefer to simply swap out lines more frequently at around 1/3 of the cost or to stay on top of the cleaning process keg to keg - either way works, if you are happy with the results).

That's what I'm running now and have been pretty happy with it.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html?site_id=5
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
Quote from: narcout link=topic=30550.msg399243#msg399243

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html?site_id=5

Same here. Like it pretty well.
Jon H.

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 04:12:39 pm »
For example, the homebrewer now has antimicrobial beer lines available to him (though some say it is a waste of money and prefer to simply swap out lines more frequently at around 1/3 of the cost or to stay on top of the cleaning process keg to keg - either way works, if you are happy with the results).

I wasn't aware of this product.  I'll check it out.  It seems to me though that the line itself is less of a potential problem than the faucet and disconnect with their nooks and crannies; it's prudent to disassemble everything once in a while anyway so I can understand those who just replace lines more often.

But as I suggested early in this thread, I like having as many tools as possible in the kit, so to speak, and be adaptable to use what's most expedient in any given situation.  That's pretty much my philosophy in every aspect of brewing -- there's rarely just one way to proverbially de-pelt a feline!

Thanks for the tip and link.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2017, 03:29:06 pm »
Okay, just an update from the OP. Too soon old and too late smart, I downloaded the BA' s Draught  Beer Quality Manual.  Anyone reading this thread with questions, start there! Everyone posting here has been a great help in clarifying things, and of course homebrewers will develop their own practical solutions -- but DBQM is a welcome addition to my "library."  http://www.draughtquality.org/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:33:38 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »
Okay one more final update.  I got in touch with support at Five Star (prompt and helpful.) They recommend B.S. Remover (best product name ever?) at 1 oz./gal. for quarterly acid cleaning.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline wyoracer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 05:01:34 pm »
I just went through the 5star site looking for something akin to B.S. cleaner, I could not find it. Are you being sarcastic or did I miss it? :o
Thanks

FWIW, I recirculate BLC for a couple hours with all my 3 taps and lines interconnected every few months

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 05:09:04 pm »
Beer stone remover. I’ve never seen it in shops, but I’m sure it can be ordered.

Offline Robert

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 05:18:02 pm »
I just went through the 5star site looking for something akin to B.S. cleaner, I could not find it. Are you being sarcastic or did I miss it? :o
Thanks

FWIW, I recirculate BLC for a couple hours with all my 3 taps and lines interconnected every few months

Not kidding, it's called B.S. Remover and though it's been around awhile their site may still show it as a coming attraction.  They have it at my LHBS (shout out to John & the family): http://www.grapeandgranary.com/homebrewing/sanitizers-and-cleansers/beer-stone-remover-8-oz.html
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »
There are several brands out there: https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLC-Beverage-System-Cleaner/133442825

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk