Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Holiday Cranberry Ale help  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Drew_C

• 1st Kit
Holiday Cranberry Ale help
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:11:19 am »
I am looking to tweak a cream ale for the holidays. I bought an all grain cream ale kit (from Northern Brewer if it helps) and I would like to add cranberries to it. I have read several things about adding whole cranberries, adding puree or juice. I do not want the cranberry to overpower the beer. I am doing a ten gallon brew and will split into two five gallon carboys to ferment and again in secondary (if necessary). So my questions are:

- What type of cranberry do you suggest?
     - How much?
     - When?

Thank you for any help you all can provide.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Holiday Cranberry Ale help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:04:59 pm »
I would use something like the Just Cranberry Juice from RW Knudsen. Can’t say on the amount. Frozen and smashed berries would work, but extra effort and time.

http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/single-fruit-juices/just-cranberry?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9WT-K2M1wIVDWx-Ch0O3wBcEAAYASAAEgI8iPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMqZ_4GujNcCFUWuTwodC-APOg

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:20 pm »
Since you don't want to overwhelm your cream ale, I would try 12-16oz/5 gallons of frozen berries.  The exact time during fermentation to add and the form of the cranberry is probably not that important as cranberry isn't particularly fragrant.  I would add right after krausen peaks and then taste a few days later.  Add more if you like.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:35:05 am »
Fresh cranberries will give less character than would expect compared to other berries. Cranberries just don't break down either by freezing or by soaking in beer/cider. Concentrate or good quality 100% juice will gie you a lot more control over your end result.

If you do choose to use berries, put them through 2 freeze/thaw cycles and crush them after each thaw to help them break up better. I am always amazed at how well my berries hold up after a hard frost, and even after a year in the freezer they are pretty firm after thawing (just ask my ducks lol).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:20 am »
Since you don't want to overwhelm your cream ale, I would try 12-16oz/5 gallons of frozen berries.  The exact time during fermentation to add and the form of the cranberry is probably not that important as cranberry isn't particularly fragrant.  I would add right after krausen peaks and then taste a few days later.  Add more if you like.
I would add 4 to six ounces of table sugar with the fruit IME adding fermentables with the fruit really helps to preserve fruit flavour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:15:50 pm »
I use fresh cranberries in mead. Just pulled them in a food processor and put them in a mesh bag in the fermenter and they give all their flavor and color.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:50:24 am »
I use fresh cranberries in mead. Just pulled them in a food processor and put them in a mesh bag in the fermenter and they give all their flavor and color.
Why have I never tried this instead of my convoluted freeze/smash/freeze/smash procedure?  ???

This makes me wish that my chickens didn't eat all my cranberries this year. I have a cider ready to keg and cranberry cider is awesome.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:15:39 pm »
Why have I never tried this instead of my convoluted freeze/smash/freeze/smash procedure?  ???

This makes me wish that my chickens didn't eat all my cranberries this year. I have a cider ready to keg and cranberry cider is awesome.
The robocoup 450 turbo Bermixer is a good way to prepare 2 crates of cranberries.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »
Sounds good - cranberries in beer, cider, and mead.  FWIW, I've made cranberry liqueuer from fresh food processed cranberries and that too is outstanding!