Author Topic: Old WLP033 Klassic  (Read 348 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Old WLP033 Klassic
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
So I pre-ordered this yeast from the White Labs vault a couple years ago, then I got a vial this summer when they pushed everything into production.  Problem is that I have  been on a lager kick, and now have a vial of Klassic in the fridge that was best by August 5.  I'm now trying to decide if I throw together a bitter recipe and make a big starter to use this yeast, or just call it a loss and toss the vial in the trash.  Anyone ever used a 3 month past dated White labs vial?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Old WLP033 Klassic
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
I still call that fresh. Make a starter and use it. It would have to be way past that for me to consider tossing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline FermentedCulture

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:27:53 PM »
It should be fine, I've revived a 2 year+ old vial of saké #9 yeast before. If you are really worried just use an intermediate step.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
It should be fine, I've revived a 2 year+ old vial of saké #9 yeast before. If you are really worried just use an intermediate step.

+1.  A few years ago I was shopping at NB, and they were giving away a bunch of expired smack packs.  I kept them in the fridge for a while and used them when they were about a year past date.  I had to step them up through a few starters, but they were just fine.