Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best of both worlds  (Read 2316 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Best of both worlds
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:36:35 pm »
Had a sudden inspiration today.  My Grainfather excels at mashes, especially step mashes, but is slow to boil and the pump filter has a tendency to clog.  So I did a step mash in the GF, then pumped the wort to my converted keg for boiling and whirlpool hopping.  Perfect!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best of both worlds
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »
I don't have a Grainfather, but I have a single electric vessel (BIAB, basically) setup with a 5500 watt ripple element, so I will do what you just described to enable me to do 2 separate batches back to back: step mashing the first batch in my single vessel and then diverting the mashed wort to a kettle for the boil; I then quickly clean out the single vessel and repeat the process for the second batch, but for the second time around, I just leave the mashed wort in the single vessel for the boil (after removing the grains, of course).  In this way, I can easily complete two batches in just about an additional 90 minutes more than a single batch.  I have to clean one extra vessel and don't go crazy about deep cleaning the single vessel for the second batch (just a good rinsing out to get it ready for the second mash).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 03:37:29 pm »
Thayt's a great idea!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Best of both worlds
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »
Had a sudden inspiration today.  My Grainfather excels at mashes, especially step mashes, but is slow to boil and the pump filter has a tendency to clog.  So I did a step mash in the GF, then pumped the wort to my converted keg for boiling and whirlpool hopping.  Perfect!

What happened to:
Having done this many times, I agree with the people who say the differences can be attributed to longer rest times and a mashout.  But I also have found so little, if any difference, that I also stick with single infusion.

...and this:

There's a reason I've stuck with my Cheap'n'Easy system for 512 batches and nearly 20 years.

Oh the humanity!  LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:55:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
I don't really have a problem with the mash to boil time in my GF.  I ramp it up to a boil once I pull the grain basket, and by the time my sparge is complete, I'm nearly at a boil.  I brew inside with it though- I tried it in the garage and it was just too cold for the element to perform very well.  Also, I've not had any issues with the pump clogging.  I do bag my hops, and I've started skimming the foam to reduce protein buildup on the heating element.  That cuts down on the particulate matter a lot.  Also, when I'm pumping through the chiller, I tip the GF and end up getting all but about a quart of the wort.  So far, I'm very pleased.  I'm still working on increasing my efficiency though - so far I'm hitting about 68%.  I did a batch of BVIP, which really maxed out the mash cylinder.  I've been conditioning my malt and crushing at the tightest setting on my JSP.  Perhaps I'll try the recommended mill gap from GF and see how that goes. 

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:51:30 am »
I don't really have a problem with the mash to boil time in my GF.  I ramp it up to a boil once I pull the grain basket, and by the time my sparge is complete, I'm nearly at a boil.  I brew inside with it though- I tried it in the garage and it was just too cold for the element to perform very well.  Also, I've not had any issues with the pump clogging.  I do bag my hops, and I've started skimming the foam to reduce protein buildup on the heating element.  That cuts down on the particulate matter a lot.  Also, when I'm pumping through the chiller, I tip the GF and end up getting all but about a quart of the wort.  So far, I'm very pleased. 

I will say the same for me. I only had a problem with the pump once in the 3 years I've had the Grainfather. Every now and then I will use my cooler mash tun but most often the Grainfather when I brew beer.

Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:06:16 am »
I don't really have a problem with the mash to boil time in my GF.  I ramp it up to a boil once I pull the grain basket, and by the time my sparge is complete, I'm nearly at a boil.  I brew inside with it though- I tried it in the garage and it was just too cold for the element to perform very well.  Also, I've not had any issues with the pump clogging.  I do bag my hops, and I've started skimming the foam to reduce protein buildup on the heating element.  That cuts down on the particulate matter a lot.  Also, when I'm pumping through the chiller, I tip the GF and end up getting all but about a quart of the wort.  So far, I'm very pleased.  I'm still working on increasing my efficiency though - so far I'm hitting about 68%.  I did a batch of BVIP, which really maxed out the mash cylinder.  I've been conditioning my malt and crushing at the tightest setting on my JSP.  Perhaps I'll try the recommended mill gap from GF and see how that goes.

I pretty much batch sparge in my GF so it only takes maybe 10 min. tops, so even if I start the boil at the beginning of the sparge it still takes a while.   I bag my hops also, as well as whirlpool before chilling but I still get filter clogging almost every time.  I was very pleased with the hybrid system.  I hit 93% efficiency for whatever reason.  Normal for me in the GF is 75-80%

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:08:14 am »

What happened to:
Having done this many times, I agree with the people who say the differences can be attributed to longer rest times and a mashout.  But I also have found so little, if any difference, that I also stick with single infusion.

...and this:

There's a reason I've stuck with my Cheap'n'Easy system for 512 batches and nearly 20 years.

Oh the humanity!  LOL

I was saying to someone else that if I was using the cooler I wouldn't bother.  But I've been using a lot of craft malts recently and they do seem to benefit from a brief lower rest.  If all I have to do is push a button to do that, why not give it a shot?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:27 am »

What happened to:

...and this:

Oh the humanity!  LOL

I was saying to someone else that if I was using the cooler I wouldn't bother.  But I've been using a lot of craft malts recently and they do seem to benefit from a brief lower rest.  If all I have to do is push a button to do that, why not give it a shot?

I don’t blame you. Just givin you some gruff. LOL. Cheers!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:42 am »
Hey Denny,

HotRod Heatstick - just make sure it is on a different circuit.

Between that and the on-board heating element - I can actually get to boil very quickly. Of course, more kit and more to clean.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:33 am »
Hey Denny,

HotRod Heatstick - just make sure it is on a different circuit.

Between that and the on-board heating element - I can actually get to boil very quickly. Of course, more kit and more to clean.

Don't have that option, Matt.  Not to mention that it still wouldn't fix my pump clog problem and would cost me $$!  The mash in GF/boil in kettle solution worked perfectly and was easy.  And I got 93% efficiency for some reason!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:21:03 am »
93% efficiency on the GF? Most impressive. I have only hit about 80% one time and that was when I kept tripping the breaker and it took 3 hours to finally get through the mash.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »
93% efficiency on the GF? Most impressive. I have only hit about 80% one time and that was when I kept tripping the breaker and it took 3 hours to finally get through the mash.

95% mash efficiency out of the GF, 93% brewhouse.  But keep in mind that this was with an untested craft malt, so it's possible my extract potential wasn't accurate.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:43 pm »
I never replied to your basic point, Denny.  I like your idea of busting out two batches using both systems.  I might have to give that a shot!  The only part I'm shying away from is somehow lugging a bunch of hot wort up the stairs to the garage!  Our new house will be a single-level dwelling with my brewing room attached to the garage, so I can see that working really well.  Thanks for the idea.