Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead - Honey Education / Question  (Read 4107 times)

Offline mikesharp1

• 1st Kit
Mead - Honey Education / Question
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:50 pm »
So today I found a huge honey distributor. I purchase 5 gallons of honey for 120 bucks (yes you got that right). The honey itself is wildflower honey which is purchased all over the US according to the owner--by the way has a huge warehouse full of it. They usually process it or filter it for bakers of the like, but I explained I just wanted it raw with no honeycomb.

I did a lot of research on how some companies cut honey with corn starch or a similar product but the owner explain they do not do that, and presented me with all the associations they are member of. So don't go and beat me up on here...

Now here's my question; For the first batch I'm going use 2.5 gallons of honey to make 10 gallons of brew which should in "theory" should net me 50 bottles at 750ml. What I don't know is should I opt., for 1.25 gallon of honey in each brew or do 1 gallon (honey) then 1.5 gallon (honey) in two different brews?

First brew: 1.25 Gal honey x 2 (5 Gallon batches)
or
1. 1.5 Gal honey (5 gallon batch)
2. 1 Gal honey (5 gallon batch)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:32:41 pm by mikesharp1 »

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Mead - Honey Education / Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:04:26 am »
That's certainly a good price for honey. I suspect that it will be ok but not great and without much character. If it's not particularly tasty I would consider using it in a melomel.
I'm not sure I totally understand your second question completely but what you want to consider is how sweet and or strong you like your mead. Maybe 15# per 5 gallons for dry or 18# for sweet. It also might depend on whether or not you are back sweetening.
If you are doing a 10 gallon batch you pretty much need a 20 gallon fermenter because it needs a lot of extra room when you feed a d degas.
Good luck! I'm sure it will be tasty.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline mikesharp1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
I used 15lbs of honey is two batches the honey distributor says the honey is high grade. We tasted it and was really really sweet. They order from all over the US when its available. That said, it was in it's rawest form because it had a little tiny bit of honeycomb in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mikesharp1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »
To add to my last post I added one batch of honey to pot and it heated to about 120 degrees for about 10 minutes cooled it then added it to my fermentation bucket. The water I added cooled it down really fast to around 75ish. While I was cooled down my Mead I use that time to clean but to rehydrate my yeast. I used regular tap water (please don't beat me up). But I wanted to see. Next time i will use spring water.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:55:54 am »
Just curious - where is this honey supplier located, and do they have a website, ship, etc.?

Offline mikesharp1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:18:44 pm »
So my Mead has foamed and pushed the water in the airlock side ways but no bubbling. The buckets are new. Also about a week I noticed everything died down so I added some another packet of yeast. Idk... advice?

Offline mikesharp1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:41 pm »
thoughts?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:34:29 pm »
Leaky lids.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:37 am »
Mike - welcome to the obsession.

I'm going to be that guy that suggests a couple of books. Read them through, read again and implement. Should give you a really great leap ahead to making the best possible meads and both are respectful of traditional and modern methods.

The Compleat Meadmaker (Ken Schramm) and The Complete Guide to Making Mead (Steve Piatz).

I am a fan of using staggered nutrients, rehydration of yeast with GoFerm, degassing during the first week, and proper aging. I have had Pete's meads and they are amazing... as is his basement full of carboys! :)
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline brwrsboo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:44 am »
I to would like to know this honey supplier.