Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Antonio-Beer and Food  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
San Antonio-Beer and Food
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »
Heading to a conference Wed-Friday down that way. Any out of the way beer finds down there? I've got a Flying Saucer and Gingerman in the Metroplex. Looking for a bit more local flavor? Wouldn't mind some killer tacos or carnitas as well. Euge, I know you're from around those parts....

"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: San Antonio-Beer and Food
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:24 pm »
There is a great mexican place near downtown, I think it is Mi Tierra. If you really want local, head out to Hills & Dales Icehouse. Blue Star wasn't stellar on our last visit, but that has been awhile.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:56:51 am »
Robert,

Jeez, you know I haven't been to a brew pub here yet? After 15 years too. Let's see...

Freetail brewery
Bluestar Brewery

Beer Guide San Antonio

Food? Mi Tierra is expensive and the Texmex isn't extraordinary. Advantages? Downtown. Open 24 hours and has a bar. I'd hit a hole in the wall like Blanco Cafe #1 for lunch (I prefer the one at 1720 Blanco).

You have to do at least one of Jim Cullums's sets at the The Landing. They got ok beer there too.

All sorts of bars downtown. Unfortunately one has to drive all over Northside of the city for the other good stuff. Flying Saucer etc...

Enjoy. We're only a few degrees cooler?!  ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:38:25 am »
To pick up some beers for your hotel room, try HEB's Central Market they have a really nice selection.  Taco Cabana also has pretty good Mexican food.  It is fast and pretty cheap.  Rosario's in South Town might be a good stop, too. For cool atmosphere and possibly good empanadas go to La Tuna once the sun sets. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:20:32 am »
I second the HEB Central Market - Hills & Dales also has beers to go, but if you think the Saucer is way out of town, wait till you got there!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:48 am »
Thanks guy. I might go the Central Market route. Another buddy recommended Freetail as well. Might have to hit it up for lunch one day.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:03:00 am »
Don't forget your AHA card, FreeTail offers a discount to AHA members. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:03:50 am »
I was going to suggest Central Market in Alamo Heights but figured you've got one already lol. I think the selection there is probably the best in the city except for Hills and Dales. And CM is close to downtown.

The problem with SA is one can spend their time Downtown- which is fine, but all the other great stuff requires driving. Lots of driving and a knowledge of the city. Not so conducive to pub crawling. :(

Oh, and there's a Lion and the Rose a block from CM. I like their atmosphere, food and selection.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis