Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning my pump, mold.  (Read 1541 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Cleaning my pump, mold.
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:13:51 pm »
 For those of you who don’t take apart your brewpump and clean it post brew, you may want to reconsider.   Since  purchasing the pump (which incidentally is one of the best buys I’ve made for my brewhouse),  i’ve always taken the head off and cleaned the impeller and parts, let them air dry before putting it back together every time.   This last brew about a month ago, I just ran PBW cleaning solution through it for a while and then put it away without taking it apart because I was buying a new impeller and knew I would take it apart soon anyway.  Well today I just took it apart to put the new impeller on, and there was a bunch of mold growing on the inside.  I wouldn’t have had any idea if I hadn’t taken it apart. Probably would’ve been OK running boiling work through it the last 10 minutes of the boil but I still wouldn’t want that stuff in my beer. Just FYI.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:29:08 pm by trapae »
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Cleaning my pump, mold.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:32:28 pm »
Guess I will have to look at that. I run hot pbw through it. Then a quick run of saniclean and call it good. Leave the valves open and let it air dry. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
Re: Cleaning my pump, mold.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:19:51 pm »
I have always been told that running hot PBW through the pump will sufficiently clean it.  I will also leave the valves open and air dry. Like many others I too have found mold around my impeller when I take the pump apart. This is why Blichmanns new pump with the valve is so appealing.