Author Topic: Howdy All  (Read 587 times)

Offline mdyer909

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Howdy All
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
Name is Matt.  I live way up in Northern Maine about 5 miles from Canada.  Been home brewing off and on since the mid 1980s. I just checked and I got a first edition of Complete Joy of Homebrewing!  Still use it.

I did just extracts for years and finally bought an all grain set up about 6 years ago.  Blichmann cooker and 8 gallon pot, cooler mash tun etc. 

I make mead and cider too, but the quality has been “uneven”......I did win 3rd place in an SCA type competition for mead years ago, but I overheard the judges talking late at night about how lousy the entries had been.....

I’m lucky to live near a malting operation and a hops farm, that will sell to me direct.  (Maine Malt House and Aroostook Hops).  2.5 hours from a home brew shop though, so planning ahead is key.

I sometimes brew with friends, but mostly on my own.  I’ve brewed outside in some nasty weather,  I got a good garage set up now, but she’s still damn cold sometimes.  Chilling the wort is only a challenge when the hose freezes up....

Just bottled a barley wine today, and was perusing this site for aging recommendations.

Nice to meet you all.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Howdy All
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:56:08 PM »
Welcome, Matt!
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »
Yes, welcome Matt! This is an excellent forum that helps home brewers of all levels of experience. I have learned a lot here and trust you will, too.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:06 AM »
Hey Matt.  Welcome aboard.  Keep your eye out for sasquatch when you're brewing outdoors.  I heard there's been some recent activity up that way!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:19 AM »
Welcome Matt, and thanks for sharing a bit about your north country location and unique situation.  I bet it's some very beautiful country!  Last week I shared with a friend a bottle of some 10% ABV partial mash barleywine I made in 2005 and it was awesome.  The big ones can age / cellar very well.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Good to see another Maine brewer on here.
BJCP Certified

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:38 PM »
Welcome. Nice bio. Nice to have connections huh?