Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sauergut, sauermalz, lactic acid - triangle tests  (Read 2528 times)

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
Sauergut, sauermalz, lactic acid - triangle tests
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:57:00 am »
Does anyone know of any (triangle?) tests done to determine if tasters can distinguish beers mashed with sauergut, sauermalz or lactic acid?  (Or even tests where these are added to the boil?)

The Beerery

Re: Sauergut, sauermalz, lactic acid - triangle tests
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:13:04 am »
Have you ever tasted sauergut? It's kind of like orange juice mixed with honey nut cheerios. Naturally, the way these products are used will influence the taste thresholds. There is no need for these tests because of this. Think of it this way.

Lactic-8ml added to mash, little to no "substance"

Acidulated malt couple % of malt that sauergut is sprayed on and dried. It will possibly have notes of what acid malt tastes like raw, if used in high %'s but not much "substance" is added to the mash much like lactic.

Sauergut-500-1000ml is added to mash, that is a lot of "substance" in a liquid and soluble state. SG beers have notes of grape, sometimes yogurt, or yogurt tang. I.E. Almost every German, Czech, etc brewery.

Every professional German brewing book mentions that in taste panels it's preferred but I don't know of a published test.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:11 am »
Volume is what you're speaking of?  8ml of lactic - vs. - 4 oz. sauermalz - vs. - 800ml sauergut...

It makes sense that the greater amount of a substance used the more it will display its characteristics in the final product.

I'll check my copies of Kunze and De Clerck for references to taste panels, though being able to distinguish each in the final product may be a different test (from that which is preferred).

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:48 am »
Preferred taste by who?  Belgian, English, American or other nationality beer drinkers? ...or just Germans?  ...or just the guys that wrote that book?  The assertion that Germany produces the ‘best’ beers and are superior to other styles is debatable at best so to say a taste is preferable is presumptuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:46:45 am »
Preferred taste by who?  Belgian, English, American or other nationality beer drinkers? ...or just Germans?  ...or just the guys that wrote that book?  The assertion that Germany produces the ‘best’ beers and are superior to other styles is debatable at best so to say a taste is preferable is presumptuous.

Not sure, go ahead and ask the authors.  ;)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:23:01 am »

Not sure, go ahead and ask the authors.  ;)

LOL. Touché LOL