Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New toy  (Read 4338 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: New toy
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:37:54 pm »
I too just got an induction burner to move indoors.  Haven't yet used it to brew a batch, but have tried out the condenser (design courtesy of Brundog https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/boil-kettle-condenser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/) that works well with boiling water.  Mine is mounted to my kettle lid.  I'm hopeful I can avoid installing a ventilation hood.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New toy
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 05:45:19 am »
I too just got an induction burner to move indoors.  Haven't yet used it to brew a batch, but have tried out the condenser (design courtesy of Brundog https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/boil-kettle-condenser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/) that works well with boiling water.  Mine is mounted to my kettle lid.  I'm hopeful I can avoid installing a ventilation hood.

I saw that condenser. Ingenious design. ...but I went with a hood. In the photo below I’ve not completed the duct work. I have to get the discharge out the window. I’ll finish it this weekend.

So I don’t suck out all the cooled/heated air from the house, I installed a tee in my dryer vent. When the brewery is operational I’ll unplug the dryer, plug in the induction plate to that outlet, and remove the flueblocker. When laundry ops are underway, I’ll plug the T with the flueblocker and plug the dryer in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:56:21 am by BrewBama »

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 05:51:42 am »

I saw that condenser. Ingenious design. ...but I went with a hood. In the photo below I’ve not completed the duct work. I have to get the discharge out the window. I’ll finish it this weekend.

I'll be doing something similar for a Spiedel Braumeister next week. I bought a 4" 120 CFM duct booster fan that I can attach inline with my dryer vent outlet in the basement. I think I have a mixing bowl that should be perfect.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:17 am »
Very ingenious setup, BrewBama!

+1
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 06:40:11 am »
I'll be doing something similar for a Spiedel Braumeister next week. I bought a 4" 120 CFM duct booster fan that I can attach inline with my dryer vent outlet in the basement. I think I have a mixing bowl that should be perfect.

I'd considered doing something similar back when I lived in a condo, but I was concerned about putting moisture into the dryer vent. I didn't like the idea of condensation building up in the line, it'd attract even more lint when the dryer runs, not to mention the chance of mold/mildew growth in the existing lint.

Perhaps running the dryer unloaded a for a bit after brewing would have helped with this, but I moved a different direction and didn't spend more time thinking about it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 06:49:48 am »

I'd considered doing something similar back when I lived in a condo, but I was concerned about putting moisture into the dryer vent. I didn't like the idea of condensation building up in the line, it'd attract even more lint when the dryer runs, not to mention the chance of mold/mildew growth in the existing lint.

Perhaps running the dryer unloaded a for a bit after brewing would have helped with this, but I moved a different direction and didn't spend more time thinking about it.

I’ll be removing the dryer vent proper and attaching my own setup directly to the louvre outlet. I can then clean that out before reattaching the dryer vent. I won’t be using the dryer vent hose at all.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New toy
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 06:14:38 pm »
So the vent system is now installed. I decided to move the BK to the right of the table, closer to the window, to decrease the exhaust vent run.  I cut a piece of plexiglass to fit in the window frame, cut a hole for the vent, attached the plexiglass to the screen with screws, and trimmed the screen to clamp the vent to it (I have a casement window in this room so the screen is on the inside — now between the window and plexiglass). So, I can crack the window without exposing the room to the weather, and run the fan with exhaust outside the room. I also installed a couple drip loops and fan speed controller (in case I don’t need all 400 cfm to remove the heat and steam).

Test runs are pending so we’ll see.

I also decided to slightly raise the Brew Bag off the bottom of my MLT. I believe I’ll get better recirculation this way. So, I found a stainless cooling rack, trimmed it to fit, and will install some edge material on the cut end to protect the bag. (This edge material may be a piece of hose split down the middle.  That’s what I used at the fan/hood joint.)

Edit: Test run: 9 gal 66*F tap water to full boil in 1 hr 10 min. No steam escaped the hood and the fan was not required to run at full speed. I am counting this as success.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:53:45 am by BrewBama »

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 08:45:27 pm »
Like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B