Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Berliner Weisse  (Read 4277 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Berliner Weisse
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:10:29 am »
How do you feel about very very soft water for Berliner weisse?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Berliner Weisse
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:55:24 pm »
Very soft water will make the Berliner Weisse exceedingly crushable, i.e., have very low mouthfeel, IMlimitedE. 

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:15:18 pm »
Very soft water will make the Berliner Weisse exceedingly crushable, i.e., have very low mouthfeel, IMlimitedE.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for, brew day yesterday went well.  1.033 on the nose.  I did what I probably will be called out for as 'wrong but I took us-05 and Taxmans Q3 bottle dregs that I built up to a 1L starter from a local brett beer that is said to have 13 different brett strains.

Lacto-brevis is what I plan to go with to sour after a few weeks, I have some medium toast French spirals otw in to the LHBS in about 3 weeks I plan on pitching the lactic and putting the oak in at the same time.

Anyone have some advice for me?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »
You won't be creating a Berliner with that culture. Berliner is primarily a lactic beverage. Brett can bring some lactic, but not like lacto will.

I've made several Berliner's and I start with RO and minimal salts. That worked well to me.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:48 pm »
You won't be creating a Berliner with that culture. Berliner is primarily a lactic beverage. Brett can bring some lactic, but not like lacto will.

I've made several Berliner's and I start with RO and minimal salts. That worked well to me.
I plan on using lcto Bevis after primary

Is that a bad idea?

AHA Member

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:47:54 pm »
Sour first, ferment second.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:06:41 pm »
Boooo, well this is going to be interesting. Any suggestions anyone? I have read traditionally lacto was added post fermentation.

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:49 pm »
Sour first, ferment second.
This is what I'm gonna shoot for, but I'll remember your advice in the future, thanks Martin. I would see the benefit is when it gets as sour as I want it I can pasteurize the wort and pitch hops and regular yeast to finish the brew.

AHA Member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:32 am »
Boooo, well this is going to be interesting. Any suggestions anyone? I have read traditionally lacto was added post fermentation.

I'm not really sure how that became the "traditional" approach. What few older books I've read in English on the subject all talk about one of two processes. Either they pitched a mixed sacc/lacto culture or pitched lacto and then later added sacc. Kettle souring berliner weisse dates back to at least the late nineteenth century.

If lactic acid bacteria was added after primary fermentation it would definitely include pedio and that would only be for aged berliner weisse.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 10:48:20 am »
There was a seminar at this year's Homebrewcon which said IIRC that Berliner Weisses traditionally were sour but not that sour, probably more like American Wilds. Kindl created a very sour lacto beer that put everybody else out of business eventually.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:48 am »
I did a Berliner one year that was brewed around Thanksgiving and served for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta.  It was a slow lacto souring that resulted from a Sacc/lacto primary pitch.  I liked the aged nature of the sour and served the BW with Himbiersirup, Zitroensirup and Woodruff in the serving glass by a spoonful or so to taste.  All were well received, but the "crushers" were taking it straight and killed the keg in a couple hours.  I kept telling them that they were chasing a buzz that they weren't going to catch with the Berliner.  They switched to a Mexican style Vienna lager to get where they wanted to be.

Anymore, I kettle sour - it's just too easy not to do it the long way.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 02:11:08 am »
Last berliner Weisse I made I used distilled water and some regular water. During the mash I added acidulated malt and I won a competition with the beer.
I have never tried to pitch a culture for a Berliner. But I would try acid malting or kettl souring.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."