Author Topic: Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold  (Read 275 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »
At one point in time, I was enamored with Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Haven't had it in 5-6 years, maybe more and I was excited to see it as a 'brewery direct' limited offering at Total Wine, along with a lot of their other flagships. 

man this was not the beer I remember.  Its amber in color - darker than a lot of marzens I've had of late (and made) and is border line an American amber ale in color.  has a nice toasty malt quality, but to me sort of reminds me of a mixture of Brooklyn Lager and Samuel Adams Boston Lager.  A tasty beer, but wasn't the golden lager I'd expected, and thought I'd remembered.

At least Edmund Fitzgerald was as good as I recall.

Anyone else feel like the beer is different than in the past or am I way off on this one?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
Yes, a bit different. The brewery is only 2.5 hrs from me and I can get fairly fresh bottles of it. With that being said, fresher examples still seem a bit heavy for the style (at least for me) when compared to traditional Dortmunders (Helles Exportbiers).

And yes, their Edmund Fitzgerald is one of their best brews they make. A fresh Nosferatu is also pretty damn good too!

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »
Two of my favorite beers were Great Lake's Octoberfest and the Conway's Irish Ale, both seasonals.  In 2014, I got the Octoberfest and as soon as I poured it into the glass, I knew something was off.  The color was different, aroma not as intense, and the taste wasn't the same.  I went so far as to email them and as I'm less than an hour away, I took a bottle up to them.  Had lunch as their brewpub and even before the waiter got to my table with the draft Octoberfest, I could see the difference.
They told me the recipe hadn't changed.  Something, however, did.  Neither beer has been what I remember since then.  They're not bad, just not as good.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is alway near.

Offline dannyjed

• Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
I’ve noticed that Great Lakes beers have changed over the years. I remember about 3-5 years ago they began brewing on a much bigger system and the beers had a distinct difference in color and taste. I had a Dortmunder Gold about a year ago and was not impressed with the malt flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
Yeah, used to buy a fair amount of their Dort Gold. They've expanded at the expense of delivering quality IMO.
Jon H.

Offline The Beerery

• Senior Brewmaster
  • More you know, the more you know you don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »
Not only does it not taste good, it doesn't even come close to meeting the real dortmunder spec. Nor does their Vienna... but whats new.  :'(
Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel!
(Oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.)
Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com (Now with forums)
"Consistently successful brewers are invariably the ones who operate low oxygen systems." -George Fix Circa 1999
Taplist and Fermentation Cellar
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change"