Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA, Citra and Mosaic?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Black IPA, Citra and Mosaic?
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:52 pm »
 I have never made a black IPA, but will be brewing one soon. I was going to do something close to the Wookie Jack clone which uses Citra and Amarillo.  I wanted to try whirlpool and dry hopping with cryo-hops however and can’t find Amarillo Cryo Hops, so I want to to substitute Mosaic. Does anyone have an opinion on using Citra with mosaic in this type of beer? Or would it be to tropical citrus? Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Black IPA, Citra and Mosaic?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:56 am »
Amarillo is kinda citrusy as well, so I don't think it would be a big difference, especially if that's what you're going for.  It sounds good to me! I love citrusy hops.  I make a black IPA with a mix of Cascade and Mosaic.  I don't mind a little bit of piney, but I like to cut it with the citrus, but that's a personal taste. 

Do you have any hops in there other than the Cryo? The reason I ask is I just made a pale ale with a small amount of Magnum in the boil and then a bunch of Cryo hop (Citra in fact) at flameout, but to my taste it didn't end up bitter enough, it wasn't very balanced.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:48:26 am »
Whatever floats your boat.  A better substitution for Amarillo in my opinion would be Cascade, maybe with a little Warrior too like 2:1 Cascade:Warrior.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:10:51 am »
Stan Hieronymus has been quoting 5 parts Cascade and one part Lemon Drop give you the attributes of Amarillo.  You can probably find Cryogenic Cascade, but probably not lemon drop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:18:03 am »
 Maybe I will use cascade instead of Amarillo. They do make both Citra and cascade cryo hops. It’s funny I’ve tried wookiejack and loved it but wouldn’t have guessed Citra was in there. I guess the dark moss hide that intense tropical taste for me.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:42:19 pm »
If the dark moss hides the tropical taste, then perhaps tropical is not the way to go. I am planning a black IPA next week and have chosen hops to stay away from tropical or citrus flavors, and am going for earthy, piney and dank flavors instead because I think they will work better with the dark roasted flavors. I love Citra but am going with Columbus, Simcoe and Chinook on this one.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:57 pm »
If the dark moss hides the tropical taste, then perhaps tropical is not the way to go. I am planning a black IPA next week and have chosen hops to stay away from tropical or citrus flavors, and am going for earthy, piney and dank flavors instead because I think they will work better with the dark roasted flavors. I love Citra but am going with Columbus, Simcoe and Chinook on this one.

I did a black IPA last year, and went for earthy/piney/dank (Chinook, Galena, and Cascade)--it definitely played better with the dark malts. I fear that the super fruity/citrusy hops (such as Citra or Mosaic) would just clash with the rest of the beer.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:14:41 am »

I did a black IPA last year, and went for earthy/piney/dank (Chinook, Galena, and Cascade)--it definitely played better with the dark malts. I fear that the super fruity/citrusy hops (such as Citra or Mosaic) would just clash with the rest of the beer.

I like the piney dank hops in a black IPA best as well.
Jon H.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:43:21 am »
For my money, cascade + simcoe  (1-1) or cascade + simcoe + citra (2-2-1) pairs well with a subtly roasty black IPA. The dark malt does seem to alter the character or perception of hop aromas, imo. What was "fruity" may seem "herbal," but in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »
 When I started thinking about making a black IPA, I also thought herbal or Piney would taste best. But after I found out that wookiee Jack was citra and Amarillo, I was surprised because I didn’t taste that in it but it tasted great. The dark malt I guess definitely changes the flavors.