Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vanilla bean question  (Read 1489 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
vanilla bean question
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:30:39 pm »
I brewed Denny's BVIP last weekend and in recipe it says to add the vanilla beans and all to secondary. My question is should I in some way try to sanitize the beans. Or could I use the Bourbon addition to sanitize them?

thx

Offline twiggy2164

• 1st Kit
Re: vanilla bean question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:47:25 pm »
I just soaked mine in vodka overnight. Then dumped liquid and all into my secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:04 pm »
I don't do anything but split them, scrape them and dump them in.  Not necessary to sanitize.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:53 pm »
I don't do anything but split them, scrape them and dump them in.  Not necessary to sanitize.

+1 (Not that it's needed!)  When I brewed this with a buddy, he goofed up and threw away all the "gunk" inside.  It was severely lacking in vanilla character with just the pods.  Make sure to add the internal gunk and the bean casings cut into chunks.  Gunk and chunks?  Sounds delicious, eh?   :o

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:33:58 am »
perfect, thanks guys

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »
I just racked my BVIP onto the vanilla beans... my fingers smell delicious!  I wish I could grow some of my own,  but I understand that's pretty much impossible. 

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:49 am »
I just racked my BVIP onto the vanilla beans... my fingers smell delicious!  I wish I could grow some of my own,  but I understand that's pretty much impossible.

Me too! Especially at today's prices for them

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 05:39:24 am »
 I picked some up at Costco for a decent price, but beanilla.com has some good deals too.