Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My one and done brew  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
My one and done brew
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:22 am »
Tried my first Christmas ale with mulling spices.  I didn't care for it. 

I had made a tincture of the spices with vodka and tried it with a previously brewed porter to see if I would like it.  Based on that taste test, I only added the mixture to four bottles of oatmeal stout and was glad for that decision.

So far two of the three persons who have sampled it didn't care for it.  I've got at least one more person to offer a sample for his opinion.

That's my one and done story on a Xmas ale with mulling spices.  Never again.

Do any of you have a story of a brew that you tried and did not like? 

Comments please.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: My one and done brew
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:20:36 pm »
I tried to make a "S'Mores Stout" this summer. A little smoked malt, some vanilla, cocao nibs, and lactose for sweetness. It wasn't terrible, but I don't care for it. A bit too much smoke, a little too sweet, not enough chocolate. I only made 2.5 gallons, and it's been on tap since May. I've blown through 4-5 five gallon batches and I'm still not done with it. I'd dump it, but it's not a bad beer and I don't have anything else on tap right now.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:00:17 pm »
I'm thinking of adding some buckwheat to a porter soon and see if I like the results.

Cheers!
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:53 pm »
It happens. Like Wilbur I try to like something, but unlike Wilbur I will dump something lack luster.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »
I made an Earl Grey Porter one time.  Not a great idea.

I've experimented a lot with unusual ingredients and/or techniques, and the odds have been roughly 50/50 of being something anyone would want to drink, but occasionally maybe 2 times out of 10 have turned out fantastic.

It's all part of the fun of the hobby.  Occasionally we can stumble upon something awesome.  But for every winner, there will be more losers.  That's been my general experience so far anyway.  Still, it does not discourage me from continuing to experiment.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.