Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cryo Hops, more varieties?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Cryo Hops, more varieties?
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:43:52 pm »
 Anyone out there who has links to some of the hop growers know if more varieties of cryo- hops are coming on the market soon? Denny? Just wondering. Very interested in trying these for whirlpool and dry hopping but would really like if some other varieties were available.   I’m willing to wait a while, but if none are coming anytime soon I’m just going to write some new recipes with what’s available.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cryo Hops, more varieties?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:06:35 pm »
Anyone out there who has links to some of the hop growers know if more varieties of cryo- hops are coming on the market soon? Denny? Just wondering. Very interested in trying these for whirlpool and dry hopping but would really like if some other varieties were available.   I’m willing to wait a while, but if none are coming anytime soon I’m just going to write some new recipes with what’s available.

My contacts at YCH tell me that there will be more and more varieties becoming available.  How soon?  Dunno.  Don't overlook the debittered leaf, either.  Drew and I are just starting to play with that and it looks really interesting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:52:41 pm »
Denny, I listened to the YCH guy interview. The cyro makes sense but I must have missed what the use was for debit-leaf. Sarcasm would make me guess you'd use that to add a vegetal flavor, but I bet that's not it at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20:55 pm »
Denny, I listened to the YCH guy interview. The cyro makes sense but I must have missed what the use was for debit-leaf. Sarcasm would make me guess you'd use that to add a vegetal flavor, but I bet that's not it at all.

I haven’t tried them, but I don’t quite get the debittered leaf myself. Muted cascade? Bland Columbus?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:38:29 am »

I haven’t tried them, but I don’t quite get the debittered leaf myself. Muted cascade? Bland Columbus?

I haven't used it yet, so I'm extrapolating based on conversations....to me, it sounds like a bit like "muted" but more like continental hops on that they have flavor but aren't in your face  Just have to brew with them to see.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
Seems kind of interesting, but I guess I don't understand the difference between just using less of the standard hop (non debittered). From another perspective, it's so hard to really know what a hop variety really tastes like. There are so many options, it's hard to brew enough to really know how it'll turn out.

I guess I also don't understand how the cryo hops differ from the normal version-do all of the oils get extracted evenly, or are some oils (linalool/gerianiol/etc.) that don't get extracted? Going to have to listen to that interview again, maybe I missed something.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:14 pm »
 I’m excited to use the cryo- hops for taste but also hopefully will lose less volume in a big long whirlpool or big dry hop.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Seems kind of interesting, but I guess I don't understand the difference between just using less of the standard hop (non debittered). From another perspective, it's so hard to really know what a hop variety really tastes like. There are so many options, it's hard to brew enough to really know how it'll turn out.

I guess I also don't understand how the cryo hops differ from the normal version-do all of the oils get extracted evenly, or are some oils (linalool/gerianiol/etc.) that don't get extracted? Going to have to listen to that interview again, maybe I missed something.

I think the main difference with cryo is that since they're processed without O2 they retain much more of their "goodies".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »

I think the main difference with cryo is that since they're processed without O2 they retain much more of their "goodies".

Well...I guess it's time to try it out. Any thoughts on a recipe to bring out the differences? I've been thinking about brewing a NEIPA:

5 gallons
72% Maris Otter
14.5% Vienna
13.5% Flaked Oats

14 g Nugget @ 30 (~25 IBU)
28 g Nugget @ 150F for 15 min
60 g Mosaic @ 150F for 15 min

28 g Nugget @ Day 2 Ferm.
90 g Mosaic @ Day 2 Ferm.

28 g Nugget @ Keg
90 g Mosaic @ Keg

I'd like to do a side by side and swap out the Mosiac for cryo-Mosiac. Any thoughts on whether or not this will bring out the difference? Too much nugget to confound results? Not a lot of yeast options around here, I was planning on using Nottingham, but that's probably "wrong" for a NEIPA.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:53:50 am »

I haven't used it yet, so I'm extrapolating based on conversations....to me, it sounds like a bit like "muted" but more like continental hops on that they have flavor but aren't in your face  Just have to brew with them to see.

Just a wild guess, but could you use them in sour beers in place of aged hops? Get some of the antimicrobial characteristics but still be very low (1-2 BU) bitterness?
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:55 am »

Just a wild guess, but could you use them in sour beers in place of aged hops? Get some of the antimicrobial characteristics but still be very low (1-2 BU) bitterness?

Yeah, seems like they'd be good for that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:58 am »
I'd be curious to know who is buying those debittered hops and why.

I understand why the hop suppliers put them on the market. It's the leftovers from creating lupulin powder and other highly refined lupulin products so they are trying to maximize value on their hops. It doesn't cost them anything to put the leftovers into the market but I don't see a big market for them.

I've seen people try them out as an alternative to aged hops in sour beer but so far everybody I've heard from reports back that they got way too much bitterness. That could probably be adjusted with a lesser volume though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 09:21:39 am »
The marketing verbiage I have seen pushes it as noble versions of American hops. I just don’t get it. While the sour beer market is huge, their hops usage is small.

Like mentioned above. They are an industrial waste product that they are trying to sell. I’ve been told decaf coffee beans were originally created by extracting caffeine for pharmaceutical and other uses. The beans were a waste product that found a market.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:04 am »
I'd be curious to know who is buying those debittered hops and why.

I understand why the hop suppliers put them on the market. It's the leftovers from creating lupulin powder and other highly refined lupulin products so they are trying to maximize value on their hops. It doesn't cost them anything to put the leftovers into the market but I don't see a big market for them.

I've seen people try them out as an alternative to aged hops in sour beer but so far everybody I've heard from reports back that they got way too much bitterness. That could probably be adjusted with a lesser volume though.

The average AA of the debittered lieaf is 2-3%.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 06:18:09 pm »
If that's the case I could see that American hopped lagers could be fun. I might take me Exportbier recipe and sub some crazy American hop de-bits. Like maybe de-bit Ekuinot