Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Question  (Read 5691 times)

Offline eric

• Cellarman
Mash Question
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:08 am »
when using a 5 gal igloo cooler for the mash tun, Should you stir the mash after first adding the grain? If Yes how often?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Mash Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:46:50 am »
Yes.  Otherwise you'll end up with hot spots or dough balls.  I add water, grain, stir.  Add more water, the rest of the grain, stir.  Then I add the remaining water, stir and then take the temperature and adjust accordingly ( hot water if too low, cold water if too high ).  I find with my setup ( 70 qt rect. Coleman cooler ) it takes a good 5 minutes or so for the temperature to stabilize. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
when using a 5 gal igloo cooler for the mash tun, Should you stir the mash after first adding the grain? If Yes how often?

Yes, definitely stir when you add grain.  Keep stirring until you get a consistent temp reading at any location or depth in your cooler.  This make take 3-5 minutes.  After that, there's no need to stir further.  Just close up the cooler and let it sit until the end of the mash time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »

Yes, definitely stir when you add grain.  Keep stirring until you get a consistent temp reading at any location or depth in your cooler.  This make take 3-5 minutes.  After that, there's no need to stir further.  Just close up the cooler and let it sit until the end of the mash time.

+1

...except that I give the mash a stir halfway through the mash to mitigate any localized gelatinization of sugars. YMMV
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:05:45 pm »
...except that I give the mash a stir halfway through the mash to mitigate any localized gelatinization of sugars. YMMV

I always forget to do this...gotta stop drinking before I brew :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »

+1

Have you experienced problems by not doing this?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:40:53 pm »

+1

Have you experienced problems by not doing this?

Up to a 5% drop in efficiency.
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:55:32 pm »

Not trying to hassle ya, just to get additional info...are you sure it was directly related to not stirring halfway through?  Did you do identical repeat batches stirring and not stirring?  I'm curious because when I tried stirring halfway through, I didn't see any differences.  I'm just trying to rule out other influences in your case.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »

Not trying to hassle ya, just to get additional info...are you sure it was directly related to not stirring halfway through?  Did you do identical repeat batches stirring and not stirring?  I'm curious because when I tried stirring halfway through, I didn't see any differences.  I'm just trying to rule out other influences in your case.

No problem Denny...I attribute the small drop in efficiency to stirring as that being the only variable that was changed in back to back batches of an APA recipe I have also found this to be the case on other repeat recipes this year. I am finding that I consistently get in the 75% +/-3% with my current single infusion mash process with APA/IPA range recipes which equates on average to about a 5% increase prior to stirring.

My grain mill is set at .040 (factory setting) and has remained unchanged. My water is Poland Spring water which I believe to be fairly consistent in that it is filtered and tested routinely.

Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:41:55 am »
Thanks for the info, Ron.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:54:09 am »
Thanks for the info, Ron.

Your quite welcome.
Ron Price

Offline jaicmac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »
Mash comes from the german for mix (measc in Irish). At one time, someone stirred the "mash" for the entire 1-2 hour period.
In my experience a thorough mixing at the beginning of the mash works great.

Offline eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:24:43 am »
Thanks for the info....I have only been brewing a few months  and had some beginners luck on my first brews..My last few have had very little body...I was trying to check what I had done different. Stiring the mash was one thing I did change

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:30:28 am »
Did you start stirring the mash and after that noticed that your beers had less body?  If so, did you recheck your mash temp after stirring halfway through?  If it dropped significantly due to stirring you might have ended up with a more fermentable wort than you were getting in previous batches.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 09:26:53 am »
Which is the big reason I don't stir.  Unlike Ron, I didn't find any increase in efficiency by stirring half way through.  All that really happened was that I lost heat from the mash.

www.dennybrew.com