Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aging in a keg  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Guy

• 1st Kit
Aging in a keg
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:35:00 am »
I have a keg of a stout in my refrigerator that has been fully carbonated. It tastes good but I think if I aged it for a month or two it will be much better. My question is: Can I just pull the keg form the frig and let it sit at room temp and still under pressure without ruining it. I could just leave it alone but I have another batch to keg and could use the frig space for it while the stout ages.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Aging in a keg
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:56:04 pm »
Yes you can leave the keg at room temp for a month or two.
You might need to hit it with some CO2 from time to time to keep the keg sealed.
The down side, I see, is that the beer will be a lot less fresh after 2 months at room temp.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »
I would definitely age it in the keg, but I would also try to keep it cold. Whether that means doing your best to leave it in the fridge to age or in a cooler/colder part of your house or garage. Colder is better for aging.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:05:44 am »
I would definitely age it in the keg, but I would also try to keep it cold. Whether that means doing your best to leave it in the fridge to age or in a cooler/colder part of your house or garage. Colder is better for aging.

What is the coldest temp at which one can age beer?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
I typically have my aging chest freezer set to 35F. You can easily set it lower than that to age as well.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »

What is the coldest temp at which one can age beer?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I lager at 29°-30°F.  The direct answer to your question is, though it varies slightly with alcohol content and residual extract, the freezing point beer is about 25°- 26°F.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »
I would keep the kegs in a cool environment. I don’t have much experience in lower temperatures near freezing but a friend of mine has let kegs sit for nearly a year in a keg. Depending on the type of stout you might get an improvement over what you have atm. A Russian imperial should be fine if you are talking about doing what you’re doing.
I think if your stout is lower in alcohol though I.e. more flavorful and not as boozzie as a ris you would want the beet fresher.
Be careful about oxygen.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."