Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cryo Hops, more varieties?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cryo Hops, more varieties?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 08:21:55 pm »
I think the point of the debittered leaf is that terpenes reside in the plant matter, not the resin glands. The debittered leaf adds terps without alpha or beta acids. So for delicate non bitter styles you can load up on terpenes without making an “insert adjective” IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 10:38:18 am »
The crappy noble hops from Europe that I have been buying lately are all in this 2-3.5% range, some (like Strisselspalt) are even lower.  It would be interesting to test this terpene theory out and compared these debittered hops in a continental lager.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:09 am »
Funny you say that, I found this from ych where they’re basically saying the debittered hops are similar to using noble hops with American flavor characteristics.

-Debittered-Leaf-Product-Sheet.pdf?mtime=20170222090108] https://d3b8rq9ztst8vv.cloudfront.net/docs/products/YCH-HOPS-Cryo-Hops-Debittered-Leaf-Product-Sheet.pdf?mtime=20170222090108

I said terpenes in my previous post, here they state the debittered hops retain aromatic compounds, polyphenols, glycosides, and flavonoids.

On the cryo hop page:

https://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/brewery-pespectives-california-cryo-hops

the third brewer testimonial states that the Cryo Hops aren’t an direct replacement of the regular dry hops. I’ve read similar anecdotal advice other places. It has also been my impression. I tried one or two cryo only dryhops and it gave me a weird resiny mouthfeel thing I didn’t like. I do like to use them along with pellets in a big dryhop for intensity, as well as a better post dryhop yield.

The fact glycosides are still in the plant matter is of interest in regards to biotransformation. Opens the door to biotransformation in styles with low bitterness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:19 am »
The marketing verbiage I have seen pushes it as noble versions of American hops. I just don’t get it. While the sour beer market is huge, their hops usage is small.

Like mentioned above. They are an industrial waste product that they are trying to sell. I’ve been told decaf coffee beans were originally created by extracting caffeine for pharmaceutical and other uses. The beans were a waste product that found a market.

As a food scientist I can tell you that nearly half the products on the market (if not more) are based on something that used to be a waste product.  Molasses used to be dumped in the ocean after sugar refining until someone started making rum with it. 

I used to work on a super-critical CO2 machine that had previously been used for decaffeinating coffee (we were using it for the dying of textiles without water), I'd imagine a very similar technology is being used for these hop extracts.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year