Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygenating wort with a wine whip?  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Javaslinger

• 1st Kit
Oxygenating wort with a wine whip?
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:24:12 pm »
Couple questions...  I've heard that as an alternative to shaking or other manual methods, you can use a wine whip to oxgenate wort.

First, what's the best procedure for doing this?  How long?

Second, if a wine whip removes dissolved CO2 from wine, how does it aerate wort and dissolve O2?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oxygenating wort with a wine whip?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:16:37 pm »
I have tried just about every method and finally settled on pure O2 with a stainless wand and .5 micron tip. Everyone has their opinion, and there's more than one way to skin kittens, but in my opinion and experience, pure O2 is by far best and most dependable

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:46:59 am »
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Second, if a wine whip removes dissolved CO2 from wine, how does it aerate wort and dissolve O2?

I have been wondering about this myself?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:03:59 am »
I use a mix stir, which is similar to a wine whip to aerate wort and "degas" mead. By "removing co2" all that is meant is that by moving the fermenting wine or mead around rapidly more co2 gets released because it is not trapped in the liquid. When degassing mead and wine it foams up dramatically.
I think it does a great job aerating wort.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 08:33:58 am »
I use a mix stir, which is similar to a wine whip to aerate wort and "degas" mead. By "removing co2" all that is meant is that by moving the fermenting wine or mead around rapidly more co2 gets released because it is not trapped in the liquid. When degassing mead and wine it foams up dramatically.
I think it does a great job aerating wort.

Same here.  I run it until my fermenter is filled with foam.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 05:03:01 pm »
I have tried just about every method and finally settled on pure O2 with a stainless wand and .5 micron tip. Everyone has their opinion, and there's more than one way to skin kittens, but in my opinion and experience, pure O2 is by far best and most dependable

+1

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 06:11:46 am »
Be sure to boil the stone/wand between brews - it can trap wort easily and become a breeding ground for microbes.

I have one and use it only on the occasional big beer.  The wine whip in a drill set on high oxygenates my lighter beers very effectively, though I wonder if it is even necessary....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 06:28:52 am »
Be sure to boil the stone/wand between brews - it can trap wort easily and become a breeding ground for microbes.

I have one and use it only on the occasional big beer.  The wine whip in a drill set on high oxygenates my lighter beers very effectively, though I wonder if it is even necessary....

I honestly feel that "it depends".  I almost never boil my wand/stone.  What I do:

1) dunk it in bucket of star san I have on hand during brew day / when about to aerate and pitch, while turned on low thru flow meter.

2) aerate wort

3) immediately carry over to sink and run hot water over stone with it turned on low.

4) go back and dip in star san bucket again while turned on

5) set aside to dry until next use.

From start to finish including aerating time takes maybe 5 minutes.

Also, just for kicks I decided on my last batch, a 1.050 ESB to skip aerating since I repitched with plenty of yeast and had added Wyeast nutrient to the boil.  I noticed it took a full 24 hrs to form <1" of krauesen - slower than if I had aerated.  In terms of growth phase and overall yeast health Idecided to go back to my BMP of aerating every batch.  It still made great beer - but it's just so easy to aerate.  And I use a swappable 10-lb tank of 02 so I'm not worried about using a little extra.  It was a pain when I bought the little expensive disposable red tanks at Home Depot!  YMMV.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:36:19 am by brewsumore »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:48 am »
I do BIAB.  To aerate, I simply open the valve and drain it into a two-quart sanitized pitcher and then pour that into a sanitized fermenter.  Shake dry yeast into that, cover the fermenter, put into the fridge with temp controller, and let the yeast do the heavy lifting.

Never had a bad fermentation yet.  However, about 1.060 OG is about the highest I aim for.  I know liquid yeast with higher OGs require more care, but I like the results I'm getting.

Cheers!
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 04:31:35 am »

I put my wand in starsan before I aerate then immediately go to the starsan bucket and turn on the gas to blow out wort trapped in the stone for 4-5 seconds. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 05:33:37 am »
Playing devils advocate here,

How are people sanitizing their drills?

So the spinning whip, mixstir, paint stirrer, what have you..  is spinning the wort. The swirling vortex then pulls air into the vessel from outside. And what is directly outside? The whirling ventilated fan/motor of a drill. Hurling God knows what into the air directly above the opening of the vessel.

And we pick at people who only soak their O2 wand in sanitizer...

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 05:48:52 am »

So the spinning whip, mixstir, paint stirrer, what have you..  is spinning the wort. The swirling vortex then pulls air into the vessel from outside. And what is directly outside? The whirling ventilated fan/motor of a drill. Hurling God knows what into the air directly above the opening of the vessel.

And then immediately pitching a big starter of healthy yeast which will outcompete everything.
If one were concerned, and I have done this too many times with no infections to be concerned, one could easily rig up a system with a whole in a bucket lid or through a bung in a carboy so air couldn't get in.
If anyone uses a mix stir with a carboy the bung is a good idea anyway so that the metal rod doesn't wack the glass.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 06:04:50 am »

And then immediately pitching a big starter of healthy yeast which will outcompete everything.
If one were concerned, and I have done this too many times with no infections to be concerned, one could easily rig up a system with a whole in a bucket lid or through a bung in a carboy so air couldn't get in.
If anyone uses a mix stir with a carboy the bung is a good idea anyway so that the metal rod doesn't wack the glass.
Then you would agree, no need to go crazy sterilizing an O2 wand.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:07 am »
Like anything in brewing, everything depends on everything else. So long as you pitch plenty of healthy active yeast to we'll oxygenated wort that is properly mashed, and then drink it cold and quick... nothing else matters.

Remember that outnumbering bacteria with yeast doesn't kill the bacteria. And the bacteria can eat things the yeast leave behind. But it may take some time to develop so, just drink fast and it's fine

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 10:09:39 am »

Who sanitizes the room air?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!