Author Topic: Jeff from Dayton, Oh  (Read 335 times)

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Jeff from Dayton, Oh
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
Who Are You (please include a picture):  Jeff Glackin
Home Town (City, State): Dayton, Oh
Homebrew Club: MASH in Middletown, Ohio (We meet at Figleaf Brewing)
I've been a homebrewer since: 2014
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Brewed a braggot that I spent $100 on and several months and had to dump it. It tasted like dirt. I got the recipe from Madtree in Cinci. It had pureed figs (dirt) and roasted chicory (dirt)
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Porter
What style(s) will you never brew? Belgian.
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? Porter - it turned out pretty good because my buddy has homebrewed for 15 years and mentored me through it (held my hand)
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? NOPE - dump them.
What is your favorite beer recipe? My porter was "founded" on Founders Porter.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging? No
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? No
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? no tricks
Describe your brew system. I have a 10 gallon kettle, 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, and an 8 gallon kettle for water. I use a propane burner. I use an immersion chiller but I have been eyeballing upgrades. My setup is very basic but I like it that way. Some of these "systems" are like a beer microwave. Thats not fun.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? Usually around twice a month. 5 gallon batches
What is your favorite malt?  Why? Maris Otter. It is a great bases grain. I did a Maris SMASH and it was a really drinkable beer by itself.
What is your favorite hop? Why? Probably Northern Brewer because it is so usable. I am not a hoppy beer lover so I keep my hops at a minimum.
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? Denny's Favorite. It is a great yeast that has never let me down. Burton Ale Yeast is dead to me.
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share? Just joined last week.
What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer? This is a lot of damn questions already. STOP IT. :)
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? Clint Eastwood and I would serve him my porter and a stogie.
Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? pureed figs. (Dumped it)
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? haha, nope.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? Entered one. I got a score and ZERO notes. Didnt bother again.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? I do both. That's another reason I like my setup being so basic. I can toss it all in the truck and set up anywhere. I like brewing with others but often do it alone.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outdoor
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?

Canal Street Porter (Founders was originally called Canal Street)

Petulant Priest Oktoberfest ( Duclaw Mad Bishop)

I have an amber similar to Fat Tire that I added some rye malt to. I call it Rydin On A Flat.

I also just created a brown porter I called Hot Brown. It doesnt have any spice but the woman I used on the logo does. :)

I am working on a recipe now called Drexel Lager. There is a big brewery here that makes a popular beer called Trotwood that is similar to Bud Light. Trotwood is a struggling area of Dayton. Drexel is their neighbor and struggles even worse. The motel sign is an actual picture I took and had it cartooned. I used a simlar font as Trotwood and used the same color blue. I think the brewery will find it funny. I am thinking about making it a Czech Pilsner.

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Jeff from Dayton, Oh
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
Good to hear from you Jeff. I look forward to seeing you at events in the Midwest.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff from Dayton, Oh
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »
Thanks Martin. I wanted to go to the bootcamp in Indy but $500 this close to Christmas was a little much in my mind.