Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old WLP033 Klassic  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Old WLP033 Klassic
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:56 pm »
So I pre-ordered this yeast from the White Labs vault a couple years ago, then I got a vial this summer when they pushed everything into production.  Problem is that I have  been on a lager kick, and now have a vial of Klassic in the fridge that was best by August 5.  I'm now trying to decide if I throw together a bitter recipe and make a big starter to use this yeast, or just call it a loss and toss the vial in the trash.  Anyone ever used a 3 month past dated White labs vial?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Old WLP033 Klassic
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
I still call that fresh. Make a starter and use it. It would have to be way past that for me to consider tossing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline FermentedCulture

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:27:53 pm »
It should be fine, I've revived a 2 year+ old vial of saké #9 yeast before. If you are really worried just use an intermediate step.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:55:46 pm »
It should be fine, I've revived a 2 year+ old vial of saké #9 yeast before. If you are really worried just use an intermediate step.

+1.  A few years ago I was shopping at NB, and they were giving away a bunch of expired smack packs.  I kept them in the fridge for a while and used them when they were about a year past date.  I had to step them up through a few starters, but they were just fine. 

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:20:13 pm »
Thanks all!  Sounds like a British Ale is in my future.  In 20 years of home brewing, I have only brewed two British-style ales.  Any recipe suggestions?  I have 8 oz of Styrian Goldings in the freezer.  Some EKG also.  I'd prefer to make use or one or both of those hops for this beer.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:00 am »
Here's my go-to page when I'm thinking about trying a new recipe for a British style:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/07/lets-brew-posts-views.html

I've still got two tubes of the Klassic ale, as I took a hiatus from brewing most of the year. I'm planning on a batch of the "Lees Best Mild" recipe found on that list.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:21:24 am by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »
Here's my go-to page when I'm thinking about trying a new recipe for a British style:

I've still got two tubes of the Klassic ale, as I took a hiatus from brewing most of the year. I'm planning on a batch of the "Lees Best Mild" recipe found on that list.

Same here. I recently purchased his "Let's Brew" book, which is essentially a print copy of many of these recipes from his blog. I realize that the blog is free, but I've brewed so many of Ron's recipes, that I felt the need to buy the book to support all the research that he has shared so freely.

Here's the link to his book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ronald-pattinson/lets-brew/paperback/product-23322469.html
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:52 am »
Wow, that page is a great resource.  Thanks guys!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:46:24 am »

Same here. I recently purchased his "Let's Brew" book, which is essentially a print copy of many of these recipes from his blog. I realize that the blog is free, but I've brewed so many of Ron's recipes, that I felt the need to buy the book to support all the research that he has shared so freely.

Here's the link to his book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ronald-pattinson/lets-brew/paperback/product-23322469.html

I've got a couple of his books on my wish list for Christmas. I totally agree with buying his books to support his research, I just typically use his website as I'm not tied to a print.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.