Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leinikug Grapefruit Schandy  (Read 5485 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Leinikug Grapefruit Schandy
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:28 am »
The real question here is why in the world did Jim even try it?

I'm not even sure I would offer it to guests.
Wife's friend asked her to pick some up for her. Wife poured herself one, and handed to me. One wiff, one sip, thats all it too.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 09:13:32 pm »

I had the same question. Had to double check what forum I was on.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

narvin

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 08:23:02 am »
Recommended food pairing: potted meat and a nice rhubarb salad. Or anything that tastes better coming back up

I had to look this one up. Thanks for the gag reflex Jim!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 08:35:23 am »
Recommended food pairing: potted meat and a nice rhubarb salad. Or anything that tastes better coming back up

I had to look this one up. Thanks for the gag reflex Jim!

Yeah, kinda makes you want to be a vegetarian. Temporarily anyway.   :)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 03:51:59 pm »
You're welcome

Offline Maureen23669

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »
I'm sorry I saw this too late.  Blew $10 on something that I'll have to add to the compost heap.  But now I'm scared.  I'm brewing a goes, and bought the vintners harvest grapefruit puree.  I haven't added it yet.  Has anyone tried it?  Is it as foul as that grapefruit shandy?  I know you advanced guys will tell me to stomp my own organic grapefruits, but I'm really just trying to save myself from paying $10 a six pack.  Not trying to impress the brew gods. Advice?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 09:31:37 am »
I'm sorry I saw this too late.  Blew $10 on something that I'll have to add to the compost heap.  But now I'm scared.  I'm brewing a goes, and bought the vintners harvest grapefruit puree.  I haven't added it yet.  Has anyone tried it?  Is it as foul as that grapefruit shandy?  I know you advanced guys will tell me to stomp my own organic grapefruits, but I'm really just trying to save myself from paying $10 a six pack.  Not trying to impress the brew gods. Advice?
I have stayed away from this particular Leiny product, but knowing what their other "fruit" beers taste like, there's no way in hell they use a quality product like VH puree. They definitely use flavor extracts, thus the "Fruity Pebbles" character of their flagship.

For a grapefruit gose, I would consider the VH puree one of the top choices for adding grapefruit flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 10:38:56 am »
I have stayed away from this particular Leiny product, but knowing what their other "fruit" beers taste like, there's no way in hell they use a quality product like VH puree. They definitely use flavor extracts, thus the "Fruity Pebbles" character of their flagship.

For a grapefruit gose, I would consider the VH puree one of the top choices for adding grapefruit flavor.

Which Leinie product are you talking about? I get a fruity pebbles flavor from their Sunset Wheat, but more of a countrytime lemonade from the lemon shandy. I'd consider the lemon shandy more of their flagship. Their vanilla porter is sickeningly sweet as well.

$10 a six pack is pretty steep as well, it's usually around $6.99 (maybe $7.99 now) in Illinois. Maybe it's a tax thing, but I couldn't imagine spending $10 on a sixer when you could get so many mediocre beers for less.

Leinenkugel-Remember, it's a twist off.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:31 pm »

Yeah, Jim, I would not put that in my mouth.

Funny thing is, Leinie's make some really good beers.  Then there's the whole shandy thing. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.