Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO Water and BeerSmith  (Read 1877 times)

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
RO Water and BeerSmith
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:19 am »
Just purchased and downloaded BeerSmith2. I dont see RO water listed in the drop down.. is there a way to add it?
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: RO Water and BeerSmith
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:00:51 pm »
Use distilled unless you know the makeup of the treated water.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:01 pm »
You can add through the ingredients tab. Once you have that open, click on water in the drop down, there should be an icon at the top left that says Add Water. Click that icon, and input your mineral levels. This can be done, but I usually just make a note in notes that I was using RO water, and I always use RO now so have even stopped doing that. I adjust my water through Bru'NWater though, if you want to use Beersmith's water calcs, you will have to add the mineral content on that calculation, but still should not need to have RO in the list of available water, unless I am missing something
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »
You can add through the ingredients tab. Once you have that open, click on water in the drop down, there should be an icon at the top left that says Add Water. Click that icon, and input your mineral levels. This can be done, but I usually just make a note in notes that I was using RO water, and I always use RO now so have even stopped doing that. I adjust my water through Bru'NWater though, if you want to use Beersmith's water calcs, you will have to add the mineral content on that calculation, but still should not need to have RO in the list of available water, unless I am missing something

I guess thats what Im looking for...how to adjust my RO water based on style... Been using bottled arrowhead, but want switch to RO. Will the Bru'NWater app do that?
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
The water calc in Beersmith will do it and the Bru'Nwater app will do it. I bought Bru'nWater before I even knew there was a water calc in Beersmith. So I have never really played with that one to know how accurate it is. The reviews I get on here for Bru'Nwater are always glowing and I have had no issues at all myself. I use it for every batch I brew and would not brew without it.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:12:28 pm »
The water modification parts of BeerSmith are pretty weak and inadequate, although I love the program in general. In particular, the suggested acid additions are much too high, by a factor of at least 2. This may be fixed in a future version, but for now I would not recommend that anyone rely on BeerSmith for figuring water modifications. Bru'nWater does a great job and I would highly recommend that for now.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:53:33 am »
The water modification parts of BeerSmith are pretty weak and inadequate, although I love the program in general. In particular, the suggested acid additions are much too high, by a factor of at least 2. This may be fixed in a future version, but for now I would not recommend that anyone rely on BeerSmith for figuring water modifications. Bru'nWater does a great job and I would highly recommend that for now.
Agreed, bru n water is much more accurate and user friendly. I do like brewers friend format as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.