Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RaspberryPi  (Read 2308 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
RaspberryPi
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:21:23 pm »
Is anyone here using Raspberry Pi as a PID? I'm in the middle of switching my system over from 110v to 220v and I'm seriously tossing around the idea of eliminating my control panel and PID's and replacing them with RaspberryPI and a touchscreen. Been researching it a bit now. There is now a prebuilt component from Adafruit that will allow me to use my quick connect RTD temp sensors. I've found a lot of nice programs that have been written to control it all. All the hardware is pretty economical. I also like the idea of it being web-based. This will give me the option of not even having to leave my recliner to brew!!
  I also like the idea that I can expand it and store recipe profiles, so when I want a particular brew, I can open that file and all the temperatures are right there should I want to do a step mash. It will also allow me to control my pumps from it. I'll also be able to run a temp prob from my fermentation chamber and control that. I can easily preprogram it so that it will automatically raise/lower the temp at different stages during fermentation. It will keep a chart of the actual temps over the course of fermentation that I can later print out. All in all, it just sounds so needlessly and overly complicated that I would be stupid to not do it. Has anyone else here done anything similar?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: RaspberryPi
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:39 pm »
I’ll be using CraftBeer Pi when I move to electric.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:27:28 pm »
(googling Craftbeer Pi)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:33:26 pm »
(googling Craftbeer Pi)
The developer released an official “hat” and there are third party hats available as well. BrewPi seems to be stuck in vapor ware due to the developer trying to launch a perfect product. CraftBeer Pi is plug-in based and has a vibrant community behind it.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:29:20 pm »
CraftbeerPi looks amazing! But I can't find a cost. This thing can't be free for the taking? Or can it?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:27 pm »
Copyright (C) 2016 Manuel Fritsch The software is free to use. It’s permitted to modify the software for personal use. It’s not permitted to distribute the modified software. Modification can be distributed via the official CraftBeerPi release only. It’s not permitted to distribute the software in a commercial way without permission.

Think GNU software or CopyLeft.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
Software is open source and free. I don’t remember the pricing for the hats. There is a very long HBT thread with some third party hats, the official is available on the Facebook page.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/craftbeerpi-raspberry-pi-software.569497/

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 01:53:42 pm »
This is too good to be true! My pants just got tighter. So I basically just need to figure out the hardware. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »

Offline ripcrd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:46 pm »
There is also a brewpi project to monitor ferment temps, graph them and kick on heat/cold via a relay.  It produces a webpage for remote viewing.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »
There is also a brewpi project to monitor ferment temps, graph them and kick on heat/cold via a relay.  It produces a webpage for remote viewing.
CraftBeer Pi is what BrewPi could have been. That thing is a never ending development nightmare. Full hot side control has been talked about for years. The one big plus for BrewPi is the use of a micro controller for the actual code execution and the Pi is just a sever.