Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Puzzle  (Read 1224 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Puzzle
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:04 am »
I like some English beers. London Pride is probably my favorite. I got it at something or other Station in Portland, Oregon a couple years ago.

I'm drinking one of my APAs right now. Simple grain bill, moderate bittering, gob of Vic Secret and Cascade in whirlpool, 1056... I brewed it in February. The keg has been in at 35f ever since. I just noticed, it's developing an "English" character,  just like the London Pride I got in Portland.

What do you think is causing that?

Makes me think I should bottle a few and enter it as an ESB. Instant 45 point winner lol.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:03:13 am by klickitat jim »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:00:36 am »
Oxidation.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:23 pm »
Oxidation.
I hate to say it, but that's probably it. Fullers ESB is one of my favorite English beers, but the flavor is night and day when you compare a fresh sample versus one with some age on it.

That said, I don't mind older samples. They start to lose their fresh hop flavor, but they start to pick notes of honey/caramel/fig. For whatever reason, English styles seem less adversely affected by oxidation compared to something like a pale lager or an IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:09:29 pm »
Oxidation.

This.

I actually don't mind a bit of oxidation in my beer.  In competition, it's usually a fault.  But in non-comp situations, it's okay with me.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »
Oxidation.

This.

I actually don't mind a bit of oxidation in my beer.  In competition, it's usually a fault.  But in non-comp situations, it's okay with me.

Unless the competition judges only have Fullers or other British beers from bottles as a point of reference. Then they want that sweet oxidized character. Having had it fresh at the brewery, and in bottles here, I no longer drink the bottles here.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:42:40 pm »
Yeah, if I want an English Bitter, I make my own  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout