Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brewing with chestnuts.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
brewing with chestnuts.
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:46:01 am »
Has anyone tried brewing with chestnuts? I was just brain storming on what to brew for xmas and chestnuts came to mind this time of the year. I am wanting to brew something dark and I dont know how to incorporate chestnuts. What do you guys think of this idea and how to use them so you will be able to taste them? Im thinking maybe a brow ale.

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
Re: brewing with chestnuts.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:05:24 am »
Brooklyn Brew Shop has a 1 gallon recipe kit for a chestnut brown ale added at the beginning of the boil. The recipe is good but I don't know how it tastes with chestnuts.  I couldn't get them at the time so I used pecans instead. 

https://brooklynbrewshop.com/pages/instructions-chestnut-brown-ale

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 02:37:19 pm »
English style brown ale with toasted chestnuts in mash? You may have to add more later as fermentation slows down too for best flavor.

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:19:51 pm »
How many lbs of chestnuts do you think i need in the mash? And in the boil? will you be able to taste the chestnuts at all?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:16:19 am »
How many lbs of chestnuts do you think i need in the mash? And in the boil? will you be able to taste the chestnuts at all?

I am not sure. But maybe start with a pound in the mash (pre-toasted and crushed up right before doughing in?)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:20 am »
I was thinking more into the secondary or the boil. Do you guys think I will be able to taste them? I was looking at the price of chestnuts and they are 10$ a bag and i bet its only a LB.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:00 pm »
I thought chestnuts were functually extinct. ??
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:45:19 pm »
I thought chestnuts were functually extinct. ??
Whoops!  A little google research tells me that the original American Chestnut was largely wiped out by a blight fungus but Asian and European chestnut trees have a resistant gene and have been cross-bred with remaining American trees.  Most chestnuts are imported but American trees are slowly coming back.  "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" may again be a holiday reality.  Holiday Cheers!  :)
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.