Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hochkurz No-Sparge  (Read 3573 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Hochkurz No-Sparge
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »
My system was set up with 10-12 gallon batch-sparged batches in mind. It's a 17-gallon kettle and a 70 qt cooler. However, lately I have been brewing more 5-6 gallon batches, which has led me to trying out the "no sparge" method, since I had extra space in the mash tun. Anyway, I got the idea to try a hochkurz mash since I noticed that I was waiting longer to heat up my strike water and because I recently had success with that process for lager brewing. The trick has been water chemistry - I am using brunwater to calculate the strike water, then calculating the complete water profile.

I am using about 1.35 qt strike water per lb of grain for the first rest, then the rest of the necessary water for the second rest.

The goal is 144F for 40 minutes, then 158 for 30. Since I have less water to heat up the first time, the net added time is maybe 5 minutes from a standard no-sparge and 10 minutes from a standard batch sparge. I'm still determining what, if anything, this adds to my beers, but I am getting good attenuation. Does anyone else do anything like this?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Hochkurz No-Sparge
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:53 pm »
I’m going to try no sparge in a similar fashion. I too am reducing my batches and have a lot of room. My kettles are 25 gallon and my MT is 120qt. I do have a HEX coil in my HLT and plan to raise temps w my HERMS. I tried to do it infusion style and my beers were mega oxidized. I have since worked out my pump to be able to underlet to raise the temp. Much rather do it this way if I can get away with it. I’ve read people thought their beers improved when they went no sparge. I’m guessing it mostly comes from the lessened O2 exposure. I do like your process.
Jeff B

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:06 am »
Does anyone else do anything like this?

Yes, I've been using a no sparge, hochkurz mash on all my beers for the last year (though I've been targeting 148° for 40 minutes and 162° for 30 minutes).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:31:55 am »
Almost all low oxygen brewers use a combination of no-sparge and Hochkurz. The scheme that I and quite a few others use is:

144 °F - 20 min
147 °F - 10 min
153 °F - 5 min
162 °F - 30 min
171 °F - 10 min

More explanation in http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/pkjdf.pdf and http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/pddvxvf.pdf
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:12 am »
Almost all low oxygen brewers use a combination of no-sparge and Hochkurz. The scheme that I and quite a few others use is:

144 °F - 20 min
147 °F - 10 min
153 °F - 5 min
162 °F - 30 min
171 °F - 10 min

More explanation in http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/pkjdf.pdf and http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/pddvxvf.pdf

8)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:52:18 am »

144 °F - 20 min
147 °F - 10 min
153 °F - 5 min
162 °F - 30 min
171 °F - 10 min

8)
BR-549 did you start all this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:08 am »
 ;D
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 02:43:54 pm »
Anybody feel like sharing their inside joke?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »

144 °F - 20 min
147 °F - 10 min
153 °F - 5 min
162 °F - 30 min
171 °F - 10 min

8)

;D

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:50 am »

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's much "joke" in the posts.  I suspect the comments are more geared toward the "irony" of topics like these because two years ago some fools talked about ridiculous step mashing techniques along with other extravagant/useless methodologies. Flash forward 2 years, I see a lot of chatter about said step mashing and an incorporation of said extravagant/useless methodologies.

....but that's just a wild guess ;D

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:24 am »
Or maybe people just don't care enough to argue about topics like step mashing, LODO, etc.
Whatever the reason, I'm just glad postings about these kinds of topics don't blow up into 20 pages of posts regarding the pros and cons.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:04 pm »
No inside joke. I just used his initials, and the 549 part came from Hee Haw. Most are too young to remember that show. Just popped into my head. Step mashing and LODO have brought on a lot of new discussion, all for the good IMO. Enough to convince me to make a lot of changes to my brewery. My next batch will follow that same mash schedule. Not total LODO, but enough changes to make an incremental difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »
Step mashing seems to me a no brainer if you understand the goals.  It's been advocated (especially the "Hochkurz" mash) at least since Thausing at the end of the 19th c. and has long been standard practice.  But all you really need are two rests -- 146F and 162F -- vary the times to vary your wort profile --  then mash off.  As for LODO --  not going there.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 05:01:19 pm »
Step mashing seems to me a no brainer if you understand the goals.  It's been advocated (especially the "Hochkurz" mash) at least since Thausing at the end of the 19th c. and has long been standard practice.  But all you really need are two rests -- 146F and 162F -- vary the times to vary your wort profile --  then mash off.  As for LODO --  not going there.

The intermediate β rests will give better conversion but I’d sign on to your statement in general. Thumbs up!

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
Thanks, that's what I suspected about the added steps.  I see the importance on a commercial scale.  As for me, I get yields around 72% or better, which I figure is north of 90% efficiency, good enough for me.  I'll happily toss in an extra half pound of malt and have a really stress-free brew day!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.