Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rockin the AHA Discount  (Read 2170 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rockin the AHA Discount
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:00:19 pm »
I recently renewed my AHA membership. I waited until there were free hops: 8 oz. of Amarillo. Score! That beats last year when I got a bunch Simcoe and other hops for a recipe I never brewed. I did use the hops.

Last week I got $2 plus tax off a Stromboli.

Tonight, I saved $12 on beer (happy hour prices anytime for AHA members).

I can’t remember what the year’s membership cost, but, I am making good progress on paying it off.

Offline Robert

Re: Rockin the AHA Discount
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:14:47 pm »
IIRC it's like $38 or so, right? $12 beer, $2 stromboli (seriously? Stromboli for AHA members?), 8 oz hops gotta be ~$10.... I have got to remember to use my benefits!  Don't think I have yet. Another happy hour round and you're  about in the clear, dude!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

Rockin the AHA Discount
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:22:37 pm »
IIRC it's like $38 or so, right? $12 beer, $2 stromboli (seriously? Stromboli for AHA members?), 8 oz hops gotta be ~$10.... I have got to remember to use my benefits!  Don't think I have yet. Another happy hour round and you're  about in the clear, dude!
Heck yeah. My LHBS has an AHA discount also. I need to remember to use that.

PS. It’s a pizza joint with a discount for AHA. I just ordered a stromboli.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:27 pm »
Heck yeah. My LHBS has an AHA discount also. I need to remember to use that.

PS. It’s a pizza joint with a discount for AHA. I just ordered a stromboli.
Trying to get LHBS on board with discounts.  That would pay it off in half a bag of grain or a couple of C02 refills!  Now I'm gonna get on Brew Guru and see if I can get pizza around here.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:02 pm »
If you don’t pay for the membership cost with the member benefits, you’re doing it wrong!

alestateyall, you’re doing it right!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:26:43 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:49:00 am »
When we went to Denver everywhere we went had an AHA discount, ranging from 10%, 15% even 20% off your bill (or your beer at least, most places we went we had drinks only).  We probably saved 30-40$ in that 10 days alone. 

I never remember to use it here at home because at my LHBS I get a discount for being a member of the local club who meets there at the store (10%, same as AHA) and at the local pubs I always forget to ask.  I remember when I travel, but here at home.. nope.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:39:13 am »
When we went to Denver everywhere we went had an AHA discount, ranging from 10%, 15% even 20% off your bill (or your beer at least, most places we went we had drinks only).  We probably saved 30-40$ in that 10 days alone. 

I never remember to use it here at home because at my LHBS I get a discount for being a member of the local club who meets there at the store (10%, same as AHA) and at the local pubs I always forget to ask.  I remember when I travel, but here at home.. nope.
The same here. Yes, Colorado has a high amount of businesses in the deals program. Must be that the home office is in Boulder?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:59 am »
I usually get my discounts in Colorado as well, there's not a whole lot in my area. It usually works well enough to pay for my membership though. I'm still waiting on my 1/2 lb of Amarillo though. Between that and the 4 lbs I got from Fresh Hops! I'm feeling like a kid in a candy shop. Homebrew finds has been great too, found out about the 20% discount on ebay last weekend, ended up getting those 4 lbs for $50 with shipping.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:12:33 pm »

The same here. Yes, Colorado has a high amount of businesses in the deals program. Must be that the home office is in Boulder?

That was my assumption.  BA/AHA based in Colorado, a lot of those breweries were probably some of the first to join the BA.  I wouldn't be shocked if 100% of Colorado breweries are BA members.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:24:20 pm »
^^^^
Umm, that big one counts as Candian now and not Colorado, right? ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:00:26 pm »
^^^^

Can you explain that? I logged into BruGuru and the Coors brewery is not a member deal location. Do you have other information to share.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:17 pm »
^^^^

Can you explain that? I logged into BruGuru and the Coors brewery is not a member deal location. Do you have other information to share.
Exactly.  Joking. Ethinson said he expected ALL CO breweries would be members. There's one that will definitely not be, but they're not really CO anymore anyway!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 05:55:41 am »
^^^^

Exactly.  Joking. Ethinson said he expected ALL CO breweries would be members. There's one that will definitely not be, but they're not really CO anymore anyway!

I guess the big guys don't have to be since they don't need the leverage and lobbying of the BA..

As far as Molson/Miller/Coors/AB.. I can't keep track of that stuff anymore... once it gets to the point of "AB owns them in the US but can't own them in Canada, and they spin off the European Market.." and blah blah blah.. I literally can't even...

As a scientist I should never say 100% anyway.. so... 99.99% of CO breweries....

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 06:59:35 am »
^^^^
"As far as Molson/Miller/Coors/AB.. I can't keep track of that stuff anymore... once it gets to the point of "AB owns them in the US but can't own them in Canada, and they spin off the European Market.." and blah blah blah.. I literally can't even... "

All you gotta know is, it's The Man, man...they're just trying to confuse you with the details!   ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:54 am »
I will just mention that the BrewGuru app will show all of the available discounts on a map. Change the location to Denver and you will see a large number of places shown as orange, which means they give the discount.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild