Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Stephen Hawking
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:18 pm »
I recall he said the first time he realized something was wrong was when he started having trouble pouring a beer.  Hoist one for him!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Stephen Hawking
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:31:46 pm »
Genius aside, its amazing how tough he was to live this long. He will be missed

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:29 pm »
He was an amazing person who was brilliant yet humble. He was fond of making bets, and he lost some big ones and was not too proud to admit it and pay up. Read "The Black Hole War (my battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for quantum mechanics)" by Leonard Susskind for an entertaining story that includes one of them. As a physicist, I name all my brews after famous physicists or physics phenomena, and I will definitely dedicate one to Hawking in the near future. He was English, and his mother was Scottish, so either of those types of beer would be appropriate. Perhaps a high-gravity Singularity Stout that is so dark that nothing can escape except Hawking radiation.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:32 am »
Genius aside, its amazing how tough he was to live this long. He will be missed

It always makes me sad that the smartest among us always seem to have something else "wrong"... like the human body only has so much energy to go around (which actually makes sense from a physics standpoint).  You have brains, or brawn, but really hard to have both.  If Einstein were alive today they'd probably pump him full of drugs for ADHD and Autism spectrum disorder... the question would be whether that would blunt his genius or not.

Hawkins shared what he had with the whole world.. for that he'll always be remembered.  Physics students in 200 years will be reading about Hawkins research and then how a contemporary from their time is building on it.

"Always look up to the stars...."
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:01:32 pm »
Quote from: ethinson link=topic=31368.msg407634#msg407634date=1521073906
It always makes me sad that the smartest among us always seem to have something else "wrong"... like the human body only has so much energy to go around (which actually makes sense from a physics standpoint).  You have brains, or brawn, but really hard to have both. 

That also appears to happen to people talented in other ways, like musical.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:37:05 pm »
He was an amazing person who was brilliant yet humble. He was fond of making bets, and he lost some big ones and was not too proud to admit it and pay up. Read "The Black Hole War (my battle with Stephen Hawking to make the world safe for quantum mechanics)" by Leonard Susskind for an entertaining story that includes one of them. As a physicist, I name all my brews after famous physicists or physics phenomena, and I will definitely dedicate one to Hawking in the near future. He was English, and his mother was Scottish, so either of those types of beer would be appropriate. Perhaps a high-gravity Singularity Stout that is so dark that nothing can escape except Hawking radiation.
The Black Hole War was a great read, although Susskind came off a bit smug and self-important, IMO. I may have to order the Audible version soon, if only for his perspective on Hawking at that point in his career.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
I can say that the death of Stephen Hawking has touched me unlike any other person to date. I grew up enjoying physics and science. His contributions to science cannot be understated. It is truly amazing that he lived the long and full life that he did. I will take a hint from others here and brew a batch in his honor. Of course, it will have to have a fitting name as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk