Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing in the Bahamas?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline henrymalmgren

• 1st Kit
Brewing in the Bahamas?
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:11 am »
Anyone know of anyone who has tried brewing in the Bahamas?  Moving down there in a month for a year or so, and am curious to the logistics.  Guessing I'll have to import everything from Florida, and temperature control during fermentation is going to be an issue.  Probably have to limit myself to dry yeast, which isn't a bad thing.  Hoping someone has trodden this path before me....

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
Re: Brewing in the Bahamas?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
Try using kveik, it can take 40 degrees Celcius easily.

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:22:14 pm »
Similar to kviek is Omega’s Hothead yeast. I think it goes up to 98 F. I’ve used it up to mid 80s ambient. There’s a subtle citrus ester with it but generally pretty clean. I’ve pitched out to 8 generations before.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brewing in the Bahamas?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »
I haven’t seen any dry versions yet, but maintaining a culture through repitches isn’t very tough.

Edit to correct. I guess Kviek is different from hothead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:30:27 pm by Stevie »

Offline henrymalmgren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:07:26 pm »
I hadn't even heard of those yeasts before, but they look really interesting.  I'm guessing the citrus esters could be absolutely delicious with a lighter flavored beer..perfect for island time!

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
There’s a facebook group/page called Kveilk World Order where you can get information and maybe have some sent. https://www.facebook.com/kveikworldorder/

Omega’s Hothead is one commercial option, but Yeast Bay has one type https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

Offline henrymalmgren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 05:14:11 pm »
It's been a while since I started this post, but wanted to follow up.  I just cracked my first beer brewed down here with Omega's Hothead yeast.  It's a NE IPA that turned out beautifully.  Fermented at about 80 degrees with no temperature control, but I did make a starter.  This is an awesome yeast...ferments fast, tastes good, and survived a long trip down here with no refrigeration.

I've got an apricot blonde that needs bottling this week with the same yeast, and then I'll attempt a kolsch.  I figure a clean ale like that one will be the real test of this yeast.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:45:25 am »
It's been a while since I started this post, but wanted to follow up.  I just cracked my first beer brewed down here with Omega's Hothead yeast.  It's a NE IPA that turned out beautifully.  Fermented at about 80 degrees with no temperature control, but I did make a starter.  This is an awesome yeast...ferments fast, tastes good, and survived a long trip down here with no refrigeration.

I've got an apricot blonde that needs bottling this week with the same yeast, and then I'll attempt a kolsch.  I figure a clean ale like that one will be the real test of this yeast.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey that's awesome! I will have to try that yeast. Here's a +1 on the Kviek strains. The one I have used creates extremely pleasant esters and seemingly low fusels at warm temps. Even up in the 90s.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »
My LHBS once had samples of  beer they had fermented with Hothead, splitting the wort and doing one at 65 and one at 80. I much preferred the 80 degree beer, it had a lot more flavor. What's really interesting is that Omega says it's a Norwegian strain.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.