Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2018 National Homebrew Competition  (Read 6999 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: 2018 National Homebrew Competition
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 12:18:21 pm »
like a lot of people I logged in and saw that I had entries before I got the email.
Just sayin' people should be proactive if something is important to them, not sit waiting until deadlines potentially pass while emails are lost in cyberspace or spam folders.

I didn't even think I could do this, but looks like I have two entries for Chicago. Registered on the last day, haven't gotten an email yet though. My question is: I have 72 hours to pay for entries from when I get an email. If I don't get an email, how do I know when I have to pay? Question 2: if I understand the dates and deadlines in the link below, I have until March 30th to declare a style for my entries?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/dates-deadlines/

Yes, you can edit entries/styles later. I don’t know the answer to your other question.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »
like a lot of people I logged in and saw that I had entries before I got the email.
Just sayin' people should be proactive if something is important to them, not sit waiting until deadlines potentially pass while emails are lost in cyberspace or spam folders.

I didn't even think I could do this, but looks like I have two entries for Chicago. Registered on the last day, haven't gotten an email yet though. My question is: I have 72 hours to pay for entries from when I get an email. If I don't get an email, how do I know when I have to pay? Question 2: if I understand the dates and deadlines in the link below, I have until March 30th to declare a style for my entries?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/dates-deadlines/

Yes on the second part about March 30th.
As to the first, if the alternative is possibly having missed an email and thus your 72 hours has already started, I'd just go ahead and see if you can pay now, ya know?

Offline pintabone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:20 pm »

Login to what? I've tried logging into the competition site and it says it isn't your AHA login but something that you get from the e-mail confirmation that you were accepted.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 09:15:02 pm »
I'll note that Gmail decided to automatically archive my emails (First notice, deadline approaching, and deadline extended emails), so definitely check that. I was checking my spam and my inbox and didn't see it. I think if you've competed before you can reset your password and get in that way.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:10 am »
Login to what? I've tried logging into the competition site and it says it isn't your AHA login but something that you get from the e-mail confirmation that you were accepted.

www.brewingcompetition.com
use the email address you used when registering for your entries and you AHA number (including leading zeros) as your password.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pintabone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:07 am »

www.brewingcompetition.com
use the email address you used when registering for your entries and you AHA number (including leading zeros) as your password.

Thanks but no dice. Not sure what happened to my application.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 06:01:13 am »
Anyone know why the AHA has decided to compile and report basically ALL the other regional judging site results that have already taken place EXCEPT for both PHILLY and NYC that were judged the very first week?

Makes no sense....

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:35 pm »
NY is up.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 02:46:08 pm »
Philly? 

Entries were judged over two weeks ago!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 03:19:41 pm »
Philly? 

Entries were judged over two weeks ago!
Were data submitted on time? Were those data correct and able to pass the checks run by the AHA competition staff?

Just saying that some taken longer in the past due to issues.

Edit - I judged 3 first rounds last year, and say that there is a large amount of heavy work (physical and mental) that happens at each site by the local organizers. They have much to do in a short time.

Sorry that I was unable to judge any this year, but will judge Second Round. Some better scheduling on our part might get us to one or two next year.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:27:09 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 04:41:02 pm »
Yes, I understand the amount of work, coordination, and planning that goes into regionals (and any other large competition for that matter).

And I have also been on the end of some regionals (in the past) where lack of judges showing up came into play and extended judging times had to be used.

Just seems rather odd since for two weeks now results have been "verifying" in Philadelphia when all others that were judged have been reported. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 07:17:29 pm »
And I have also been on the end of some regionals (in the past) where lack of judges showing up came into play and extended judging times had to be used.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I heard this was the case in NYC.  Maybe it was the same issue in Philadelphia?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 07:22:25 pm »
Yes, I understand the amount of work, coordination, and planning that goes into regionals (and any other large competition for that matter).

Just seems rather odd since for two weeks now results have been "verifying" in Philadelphia when all others that were judged have been reported.

I was in Philly for judging Friday and Saturday two weeks ago.  They could not finish due to a shortage of judges.  My sense was that it was a matter of fewer judges signing up rather than no-show judges.  I don't have direct knowledge of the current status, but there has been chatter on the AHA's NHC Facebook page.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:24:42 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »

I was in Philly for judging Friday and Saturday two weeks ago.  They could not finish due to a shortage of judges.  My sense was that it was a matter of fewer judges signing up rather than no-show judges.  I don't have direct knowledge of the current status, but there has been chatter on the AHA's NHC Facebook page.

Thanks for the reply. Figured it could be something like that.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 06:53:23 am »
Philly finished judging yesterday.
(KC did too, and CHI was just about done last I talked with someone there.)
Good luck to everyone, and I'll see ya in Portland