Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Bier de Garde  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Bier de Garde
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »
Majorvices,

Please let us Francophiles know how these beers turn out. Thanks.

I will!

Yeah, definitely curious what you will think of those strains in this style...

I too have typically used WY 1007 for my amber/brown BDG's with fairly good success. I have yet to try a lager strain and probably will the next time I brew one. Maybe ferment the lager strain around 55-60F (probably towards the lower end) to keep the profile clean.

I may be wrong, but I think that if you use an ale yeast, you should do so at lower than usual ale temps. If you are using lager yeast, ferment at higher than usual lager temps. I think I got this from Markowski's Farmhouse Ales.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:19:10 pm »
Majorvices,

I will!

I too have typically used WY 1007 for my amber/brown BDG's with fairly good success. I have yet to try a lager strain and probably will the next time I brew one. Maybe ferment the lager strain around 55-60F (probably towards the lower end) to keep the profile clean.

I may be wrong, but I think that if you use an ale yeast, you should do so at lower than usual ale temps. If you are using lager yeast, ferment at higher than usual lager temps. I think I got this from Markowski's Farmhouse Ales.

I occasionally use lager yeast, but my go to is WY1007 at 55F.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 05:48:25 pm »
Majorvices,

I will!

Yup. Agreed. That is why I stated 55-60 for a lager. I usually run my lager ferments around 46-48F depending on the strain. I would probably not take any lager strain higher than 60F though. I feel that they can throw off some weird aromas around there.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 05:28:20 am »
Majorvices,

I will!

Yup. Agreed. That is why I stated 55-60 for a lager. I usually run my lager ferments around 46-48F depending on the strain. I would probably not take any lager strain higher than 60F though. I feel that they can throw off some weird aromas around there.

Gotcha!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'