Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rogue Tap Concern  (Read 2084 times)

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
Rogue Tap Concern
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:48 pm »
Okay, so I know it's probably not the item that should be of most concern with my new keezer system, and apologies if this isn't the correct board to post under, but does anybody have/know of any safeguards people might take to prevent a tap from opening unintentionally when not attended?

I just started running beer through my recently setup keezer (will post pics in the appropriate topic soon enough for anyone who wants to see), but my concern is that one day when I'm at work a tap handle might fall forward, and I'll come home to 5 gallons of precious beer on my floor.  I have over-the-faucet tap covers, but I'm wondering if there are any more precautions I can take, apart from literally disconnecting my kegs every time I leave the house.  The obvious answer would be to buy flow control faucets (currently have standard faucets), and though that may be my next move, I'm already quite a bit of money into this build. Plus, with the holidays coming up, cash is a bit tight right now, and I'd prefer to avoid spending too much more money immediately if possible.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
A.J.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Rogue Tap Concern
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »
I have no answer, but look forward to them.  It has absolutely never been a real issue, but there's always a little paranoia in the  back of my mind about the cat jumping up on the keezer and pouring out a keg!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:02:46 pm »
Well, it's definitely good to hear that it's never been an issue for you.  Like I said, it's probably not the thing that should be of most concern, but as you said, the paranoia is always there haha.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
I've never had a problem with mine. I've had the same perlick taps for the last 4-5 years. Per this picture, pressure from the beer pushes the ball against the seal. Seals do degrade over time, but a tap shouldn't "fall" open.

Offline nbarmbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:46:17 am »
I have never had a tap just fall open. I have had them leak. If you are really concerned about them falling open you could buy some tap faucet locks.
https://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Aluminum-Draft-Faucet-Kegerators/dp/B000CC66KO

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 11:18:36 am »
Why not rubber bands? Cheap and easy... maybe unsightly but it can be a cheap temporary alternative?

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:45 am »
I have never had a tap just fall open. I have had them leak. If you are really concerned about them falling open you could buy some tap faucet locks.

Do these fit Perlick?  BTW I just recently switched to Perlick, and cannot understand why anything else exists on the planet!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline nbarmbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »

Do these fit Perlick?  BTW I just recently switched to Perlick, and cannot understand why anything else exists on the planet!

These do. They are more expensive.  I heard that the intertap faucets are nice too.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/faucet-locks/wrap-around-lock-for-perlick-600-series-faucets.html

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »

These do. They are more expensive.  I heard that the intertap faucets are nice too.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faucets/faucet-locks/wrap-around-lock-for-perlick-600-series-faucets.html

Thanks. Now I know what that little dangle under the Perlick is for. I just tried the rubber band idea -- a really heavy one wrapped around a few times -- but I can see the cat could still easily open the tap with just a little bump. (Likewise other pets or children. ) But for the price... I could maybe train the cat to keep off the keezer.  Cannot believe I just said that. I'll just trust my luck.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
Appreciate all the feedback on this.  Seems I'm just being paranoid, so until I'm ready to buy flow control faucets I suppose I won't worry about it too much.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:49:29 pm »
Try self closing faucets.  They have springs that force the faucet closed when you let go.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 07:12:00 am »
or just unhook the ball/pin lock?

saw you said that in the original post... whoops.