Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New toy  (Read 3359 times)

Offline rewestpak

• 1st Kit
New toy
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:52:05 pm »
Group,

We currently brew 10 gallon batches using a three keg setup.  Mash, HLT, and boil set up as a HERMS system.  We're looking to increase the batch size to about 30 gallons, and with that in mind, I just acquired a stainless steel 55 gallon drum.  A few questions for the group.

1.  It's used, and I don't know what it was used for.  How do I avoid poisoning myself?  I was thinking about getting it electro-polished and passivated.  Is that overkill?  Is there another way?

2.  I was thinking about using it for the boil kettle.  Any thoughts?

3.  Finally, if you wanted a mash tun for a 30 gallon batch, what would you use?  I'd much rather fabricate something than buy a finished product.  It is a hobby, after all.

Appreciate any ideas.

Take Care,
Randy

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: New toy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:14:49 am »
Group,

We (I'm assuming you've got a couple of friends & not just a spouse)currently brew 10 gallon batches using a three keg setup.  Mash, HLT, and boil set up as a HERMS system.  We're looking to increase the batch size to about 30 gallons(that's a lot), and with that in mind, I just acquired a stainless steel 55 gallon drum.  A few questions for the group.

1.  It's used, and I don't know what it was used for.  How do I avoid poisoning myself?  I was thinking about getting it electro-polished and passivated.  Is that overkill?(unless it was storing plutonium, it's probably overkill)  Is there another way? (I'd say an S.O.S pad followed by a few days in the air to self passivate)

2.  I was thinking about using it for the boil kettle.  Any thoughts?(me too, but you're gonna need a big burner)

3.  Finally, if you wanted a mash tun for a 30 gallon batch, what would you use?  I'd much rather fabricate something than buy a finished product.  It is a hobby, after all. (30 gallons is getting close to something beyond a hobby - an obsession maybe. I brew mostly alone so if I came across a 55 gallon drum, it would only store grain for me.)

Appreciate any ideas.

Take Care,
Randy
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:12:31 am »
I brew mostly alone so if I came across a 55 gallon drum, it would only store grain for me.

If I come across a 55 gallon drum, it's gonna become a UDS
Joe

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:19:18 am »

1.  It's used, and I don't know what it was used for.  How do I avoid poisoning myself?  I was thinking about getting it electro-polished and passivated.  Is that overkill?(unless it was storing plutonium, it's probably overkill)  Is there another way? (I'd say an S.O.S pad followed by a few days in the air to self passivate)

AVOID THE SOS PAD... the steel wool will deposit some trace iron on the wall of the kettle and allow rust to develop... so the SOS pad will do just the opposite of passivating!  Instead use a green scrubbie, or some sand paper.  Just don't use iron based scrubbing device!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:34:56 am »
There's a fine line between hobby and obsession when it comes to homebrewing. ::)

I'm also looking to go larger to take advantage of the cooler months. If I could do 30 gallons at a whack then I'd hit my limit fairly quickly and only have to brew a few times and have beer for the whole year.

I batch sparge so to do a 14-15 gallon boil a 70qt is just about the minimum. If you're fly-sparging you might need another drum or two as a mash tun and hot liquor tank.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 12:10:41 pm »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
Acronym translation failure . . . help me out?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »
Acronym translation failure . . . help me out?

Ugly Drum Smoker. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
"Ultimate Drum Smoker"
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
Cool, I checked out a few sites and now I want one.:) I'll add it to the list of projects . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

AVOID THE SOS PAD... the steel wool will deposit some trace iron on the wall of the kettle and allow rust to develop... so the SOS pad will do just the opposite of passivating!  Instead use a green scrubbie, or some sand paper.  Just don't use iron based scrubbing device!

Duh!  I knew that.  What was I "thinking". ???  That's why I have the ss scrubbie.

Guess I shouldn't be on the board at that time of morning!  I'll have to give 'em their money back.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline rewestpak

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 08:07:27 pm »
Group,

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll just scrub and allow to oxidize.

As you can see, me and my friend are trying to walk the fine line between hobby and obsession.  I'm a chemical engineer who sells software for a living, so I need to get my fix somehow.  Just wait until I fabricate a burner setup for the drum............

--Randy