Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oak Spirals  (Read 1932 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Oak Spirals
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:55:57 am »
For you funky brewers out there.  I just took my first stab at oak spirals, French medium toast, in a bad example of Berliner weisse with brett and lacto.  Any chance I could harbor the microflora, and reuse the Oak spiral? I confidently assume yes, however how to store the spiral in the mean time? Zip lock bag? Or just on a shelf? My thought was I could kettle sour with it, or I could just throw into a long secondary and forget about a brew for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oak Spirals
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:24:16 am »
I think your best bet would be to put into a secondary for long term aging.

For storing your wood (heheh), I think your best bet would be to fine some beer to keep it in. But you also have to be aware of minimizing O2 as this could lead to an overabundance of acetobacter which could be transferred to your next brew when you want to use it again.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:04:41 am »
I don't know how well it works, but I have a friend who stores spirals in vacuum seal bags.  I know he's attempting to hold on to the bugs, but I can't say for sure he's had any success with it. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:21 am »
I've had success infecting a spiral with Brett, refrigerating it and infecting a beer with the Brett on the spiral.  I have not tried to infect a spiral with lacto (or pedio) but I think it would work.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:53 am »
I would store it under beer. I definitely wouldn't store it in the open. It's wood, if it dries improperly then it's going to grow mold. Also not sure you'll have good luck drying out brett or lacto--especially brett.

Not sure an oak spiral is a great source for a kettle sour. Generally with a kettle sour you want a fast souring process to minimize oxidation. An oak spiral isn't going to provide a very large volume of LAB.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:55 am »
I would store it under beer. I definitely wouldn't store it in the open. It's wood, if it dries improperly then it's going to grow mold. Also not sure you'll have good luck drying out brett or lacto--especially brett.

Not sure an oak spiral is a great source for a kettle sour. Generally with a kettle sour you want a fast souring process to minimize oxidation. An oak spiral isn't going to provide a very large volume of LAB.
Good point...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 10:47:25 am »
I'm not sure about Brett, but the spirals might be pretty good for storing kveik. Some cool reads from Lars Garshol:

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/264.html

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:56:45 am »
Really good read thanks for the share

AHA Member