Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan-B dosage amounts confusion  (Read 8363 times)

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
Re: Brewtan-B dosage amounts confusion
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 02:55:48 pm »
I emailed Joe about where and when to use Brewtan-B and dosage. The following is Joe’s response.

I recommend using 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons of the water that you would use for the mash and sparge as well as 1/2 tsp per for a 5 gal batch of beer in the boil.  This gives you both protection from oxidation through iron chelation (by mash addition) as well as clarification (by boil addition).
Add the 1/2 tsp for the mash directly to the water.  Dissolve the 1/2 tsp for the boil in a small amount (1/4 cup or so) of your brewing water then add it to the boil 15 min before the end of the boil.  You can use this in conjunction with other fining agents like Polyclar or Whirlfloc, but be sure to add the Brewtan B at least 1 min before the other agents.
The official usage is ~4g/hl of wort. 

Tom
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:58:01 pm by millstone »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
That's a bit different from his original recommendation to me, but not a lot.  I'll be switching to this recommended usage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:46 am »
So, to summarize:

VOLUME BASED DOSING

Mash - 1/2 tsp/5 gal (0.1 tsp/gal) for TOTAL water amount in mash (dose based on strike for no-sparge, dose based on strike+sparge if sparging) and add directly to water.

Boil - 1/2 tsp/5 gal (0.1 tsp/gal) in the boil. Dissolve boil dose  in 1/4 cup of water and add at 15 minutes. Add at least 1 minute prior to kettle fining agents.

(Note: Joe F.'s dosing seems to be based off of 4 g/hl or 0.15 g/gal)

WEIGHT BASED DOSING

Mash - Add between 0.08-0.26 g/gal (2-6.84 g/hl) directly to mash (dose based on strike for no-sparge, dose based on strike+sparge if sparging).

Boil - Add between 0.08-0.26 g/gal (2-6.84 g/hl) in the boil. Dissolve boil dose  in 1/4 cup of water and add at 15 minutes. Add at least 1 minute prior to kettle fining agents.

COMMENTS ON BOIL ADDITION

For those using Copper chillers, the boil addition is certainly worthwhile in addition to kettle fining agents due to the copper chiller's potential for participating in the Fenton reaction.

For those using Stainless chillers, the boil addition shouldn't be required. Adding Brewtan B in the boil in addition to kettle finings really serves no purpose in the absence of the requirement for metal chelation (from the copper). Since you have theoretically already treated both the mash and sparge water volume prior, you shouldn't require the metal chelation for your source water either once in the boil.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:33 am »
So, to summarize:

VOLUME BASED DOSING

Mash - 1/2 tsp/5 gal (0.1 tsp/gal) for TOTAL water amount in mash (dose based on strike for no-sparge, dose based on strike+sparge if sparging) and add directly to water.

Boil - 1/2 tsp/5 gal (0.1 tsp/gal) in the boil. Dissolve boil dose  in 1/4 cup of water and add at 15 minutes. Add at least 1 minute prior to kettle fining agents.

WEIGHT BASED DOSING

Mash - Add between 0.08-0.26 g/gal (2-6.84 g/hl) directly to mash (dose based on strike for no-sparge, dose based on strike+sparge if sparging).

Boil - Add between 0.08-0.26 g/gal (2-6.84 g/hl) in the boil. Dissolve boil dose  in 1/4 cup of water and add at 15 minutes. Add at least 1 minute prior to kettle fining agents.

For those using Copper chillers, the boil addition is certainly worthwhile in addition to kettle fining agents due to the copper chiller's potential for participating in the Fenton reaction.

For those using Stainless chillers, the boil addition shouldn't be required. Adding Brewtan B in the boil in addition to kettle finings really serves no purpose in the absence of the requirement for metal chelation (from the copper). Since you have theoretically already treated both the mash and sparge water volume prior, you shouldn't require the metal chelation for your source water either once in the boil.

Last time I talked to Joe he was recommending dissolving the boil addition in wort rather than water.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 09:58:11 am »
So, to summarize:

VOLUME BASED DOSING

WEIGHT BASED DOSING

Last time I talked to Joe he was recommending dissolving the boil addition in wort rather than water.

His email response above seems to differ.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
His email response above seems to differ.

Yeah, that's in line with what he originally told me.  I'll try to get an email off to him for clarification.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 11:28:11 am »
OK, somewhere along the line I misunderstood...Joe says definitely mix with water for the boil.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 11:44:15 am »
OK, somewhere along the line I misunderstood...Joe says definitely mix with water for the boil.

Awesome. Since so many people are using it now across methods and styles, maybe you guys want to sticky the dosing and recommendations?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 11:59:56 am »

Awesome. Since so many people are using it now across methods and styles, maybe you guys want to sticky the dosing and recommendations?

I don't think we want to do that here...don't want to promote a particular product.  But I think it would be good to feature it prominently on the EB website.

www.dennybrew.com