Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan-B dosage amounts confusion  (Read 8426 times)

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
Brewtan-B dosage amounts confusion
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:25:17 am »
So I’m getting a bit confused on the dosage amounts, maybe I’m just thick headed. I have read some say you treat the MASH water, others say the STRIKE water, can I assume strike water is the TOTAL water used, mash and spage, and the dosage is split and added to both and others say BATCH size? I do 8+ gallon batches, so if I only treat the mash water at a rate of 2gr/hl and I’m mashing in with 9.5 gallons I would use .72gr. My SPARGE water amount is 7 gallons, do I treat this with an additional .53gr of Brewtan B or would all of it go in with the mash, .72gr + .53gr? Lastly, in the boil, do I treat the wort amount in the BK, about 9.5 gallons or the BATCH size, 8 gallons?

Thanks

Tom

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan-B dosage amounts confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:29:07 am »
The amounts I was given by a factory rep are in volume, not weight, so that's what I use.  1/4 tsp. per 5 gal. of mash and sparge water.  That means fpr 5 gal. of mash water you'd use 1/4 tsp. and fpr 3 gal. of sparge water you'd use a bit over 1/8 tsp.  Then 15 min. before end of boil 1/2 tsp. mixed with a bit of wort per 5 gal.  Using volume is OK in thise case because you just don't have to be tenth of a gram accurate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:58:41 pm »
For weight measures, I use .75g in a BIAB 10 gal batch in the warmed strike water (13 gallons) just before adding the malt.  For the boil, I use 2g hydrated in about 15 ml of water for a few minutes until it becomes a clear solution and add that at 16 minutes prior to the end of the boil, then whirlfloc at 14 minutes.  I was told by Joe F. that he now suggests hydrating the boil addition before adding it to the boil (hydrated 2g in 15 ml solution for me) and waiting at least 2 minutes before adding any other clarifying agent.

I don't think you can go wrong on this, though, even if adding dry BTB directly to the boil.  Joe just said something about the overall reaction being better with hydration and then waiting on Whirlfloc addition.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:01 pm »
For weight measures, I use .75g in a BIAB 10 gal batch in the warmed strike water (13 gallons) just before adding the malt.  For the boil, I use 2g hydrated in about 15 ml of water for a few minutes until it becomes a clear solution and add that at 16 minutes prior to the end of the boil, then whirlfloc at 14 minutes.  I was told by Joe F. that he now suggests hydrating the boil addition before adding it to the boil (hydrated 2g in 15 ml solution for me) and waiting at least 2 minutes before adding any other clarifying agent.

I don't think you can go wrong on this, though, even if adding dry BTB directly to the boil.  Joe just said something about the overall reaction being better with hydration and then waiting on Whirlfloc addition.
Thanks for the detailed info. Mine is to arrive Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:40:45 pm »
For weight measurements you can reference either the NS datasheet (2-6 g/hL for mash and boil) or the Wyeast datasheet (8g/1.17 hL Mash and 5g/1.17 hL Boil).

Just convert to g/gal and you’re all set.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:12:56 am by Big Monk »

Online mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:47 am »
The Wyeast website instructions on BrewTan B recommend adding it 0-5 minutes before the end of the boil.
Denny, I notice you're adding it around 15 mins before the end of boil.
Are you seeing good results doing it this way?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:53 am »
Thanks for the reply denny and clearing up my confusion, good to know that both the mash and the spare are treated separately, also I use weights because I’ve already got the gram scale out to measure the brewing salts so I will keep going with the Brewtan B.

According to the web there are 26.417205 gallons per hectoliter, so if I have 9.5 gallons mash water and use 2gm per hectoliter I get .72 grams for the mash water addition, Big Monk, would that be correct?  denny sounds like in your mash water your using 7gr/hl if 1 teaspoon = 5gr, closer to what Yeast is recommending and ynotbrusum your using about 1.5 gr/hl in your strike water (13 gallons), closer to the data sheet, just checking to see if my math is correct.

ynotbrusum, thanks for the tip on hydrating.

thanks everyone,

Tom

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:55:59 am »
There should be a Brewtan-B dosage sticky for us old guys, who always are trying to find it.m ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 06:20:54 am »
Thanks for the reply denny and clearing up my confusion, good to know that both the mash and the spare are treated separately, also I use weights because I’ve already got the gram scale out to measure the brewing salts so I will keep going with the Brewtan B.

According to the web there are 26.417205 gallons per hectoliter, so if I have 9.5 gallons mash water and use 2gm per hectoliter I get .72 grams for the mash water addition, Big Monk, would that be correct?  denny sounds like in your mash water your using 7gr/hl if 1 teaspoon = 5gr, closer to what Yeast is recommending and ynotbrusum your using about 1.5 gr/hl in your strike water (13 gallons), closer to the data sheet, just checking to see if my math is correct.

ynotbrusum, thanks for the tip on hydrating.

thanks everyone,

Tom

Wyeast's recommendation are pretty much in the range given by the manufacturer specifications:

WYEAST

MASH - 8 g/1.17 hl (6.84 g/hl) converts to 0.26 g/gal
BOIL - 6 g/1.17 hl (4.27 g/hl) converts to 0.16 g/gal

For 9.5 Gallons - 2.47 g in the mash

AJINOMOTO

MASH and BOIL - 2 to 6 g/hl converts to 0.08 to 0.23 g/gal

For 9.5 Gallons - 0.76 to 2.2 g in the mash

I agree with you on using weight based additions. You already have the scale out so why not!

To your OP question from above: It is a bit confusing I guess to determine how much to add. We dose the STRIKE water but we also do No-Sparge and recirculate. I would think you want to dose your STRIKE water.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:31:07 am by Big Monk »

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:56 am »
hopfenundmalz, I agree on that sticky, seeing that I graduated in the upper 85 percentile of my high school class, and my age    ;D

and Big Monk, the information was extremely helpful, now onto adjusting my spreadsheet….

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:29:59 am »
The Wyeast website instructions on BrewTan B recommend adding it 0-5 minutes before the end of the boil.

Yeah, I am.  My usage is based on recommendations from Joe Formanek.  He's not only the BTB product manager, he's won more awards using it than most people have ever seen.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:25 am »

Yeah, I am.  My usage is based on recommendations from Joe Formanek.  He's not only the BTB product manager, he's won more awards using it than most people have ever seen.

Is Joe with Natural Specialties? I'm wondering if the volumetric doses are just based off their weight based recommendations. It would make sense. Wyeast's recommendations and the Ajinomoto recommendations pretty much coordinate.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:41 am »

Is Joe with Natural Specialties? I'm wondering if the volumetric doses are just based off their weight based recommendations. It would make sense. Wyeast's recommendations and the Ajinomoto recommendations pretty much coordinate.

Joe is with Ajinomoto.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:21 am »

Joe is with Ajinomoto.

So he probably just adapted his volumetric values from their weight based recommendations based on his experience. Good to know that using either stays true to Joe's recommendations.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
Joe is also in my homebrew club and he presented to our tech session on the BTB product - very informative and I agree with Denny - Joe has more awards than any brewer I know.  He indicated anecdotally that he has uses BTB on his homebrewed beers and obtained very good clarity and shelf stability (something like a year on one particular blond ale that held up perfectly well flavor-wise, as one example - of course it was refrigerated, too).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"