Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hazy melomel  (Read 2208 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Hazy melomel
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:08:05 am »
I've been fermenting a mead for almost two weeks and added cherries a few days ago.  The melomel is very hazy. I'm wondering if I should be using some alcohol tolerant pectinase to clear this up, fining later, or something else. Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Hazy melomel
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:43 am »
I've been fermenting a mead for almost two weeks and added cherries a few days ago.  The melomel is very hazy. I'm wondering if I should be using some alcohol tolerant pectinase to clear this up, fining later, or something else. Thoughts?

Did you heat up the cherries or any other pectin containing fruit? If not its not a pectin issue. It seems to me the cherries simply reinvigorated the fermentation and its just yeast and fruit particles in suspension. You probably just need to wait.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:43 am »

Did you heat up the cherries or any other pectin containing fruit? If not its not a pectin issue. It seems to me the cherries simply reinvigorated the fermentation and its just yeast and fruit particles in suspension. You probably just need to wait.

I didn't boil.  I'll wait the fermentation out then. Thanks

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:43:15 pm »

Mead requires a meditative patience my experience with fruited mead is it takes months to clear and a year at least to really peak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:39:23 pm »
Once fermentation is finished, I use Super Kleer KC.   Works great.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/super-kleer-finings-kieselsolchitosan-65-ml.html
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 12:22:26 pm »

Mead requires a meditative patience my experience with fruited mead is it takes months to clear and a year at least to really peak

Mead requires the patience of the Buddha but it’s worth it.Male beer or cider to distract yourself while it matures