Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour commercial kegs / draft equipment  (Read 1333 times)

Offline petermmitchell

• Cellarman
Sour commercial kegs / draft equipment
« on: December 08, 2017, 05:44:46 am »
I just finished a sixtel of Otra Vez, which I'm pretty sure uses lacto based on the recipe in new session beers book, using a D coupler and picnic tap on my keg system.  I'm looking at getting a hoppy beer now for the holidays and potentially using the same setup the Otra used.  Which one of the following should I do before tapping the new beer?

1. Just tap the new beer, the contact time is really short in the line, no impact to flavor is likely
2. Boil the D coupler for a few minutes and run BLC through the line
3. Replace the liquid line completely
4. Buy everything new again for clean sixtels

Thanks!

Offline Nwsurfkid

• 1st Kit
Re: Sour commercial kegs / draft equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 08:29:14 am »
I just finished a sixtel of Otra Vez, which I'm pretty sure uses lacto based on the recipe in new session beers book, using a D coupler and picnic tap on my keg system.  I'm looking at getting a hoppy beer now for the holidays and potentially using the same setup the Otra used.  Which one of the following should I do before tapping the new beer?

1. Just tap the new beer, the contact time is really short in the line, no impact to flavor is likely
2. Boil the D coupler for a few minutes and run BLC through the line
3. Replace the liquid line completely
4. Buy everything new again for clean sixtels

Thanks!
I could be wrong, but pretty sure that is a kettle soured brew, or a variation on the process. No live LAB left in the commercial beer.

Would still clean lines regardless of previous beer when switching kegs. Unless, in this case, you want a few salty/tangy pints of your next keg.

Doubt there is an infection issue from the Otra, but possible from poor draft line maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Sour commercial kegs / draft equipment
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:36 pm »
Wouldn't Otra be pasteurized? Perhaps Sierra Nevada does not, but I'd imagine that would be prudent so this sort of thing doesn't happen in industry.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.