Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Down sides of no mashout?  (Read 4190 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Down sides of no mashout?
« on: December 09, 2017, 01:22:08 pm »
Topic

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Down sides of no mashout?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
I haven't found one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:16:07 pm »
Most people don’t hold at mashout temperature for long enough to get any benefits anyway so skipping it usually isn’t noticed. If you step mash already, which many do, holding at mashout for >= 10 minutes is another tool in the dynamite foam toolbox. As always, YMMV.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:55:49 pm »
I mash off at 170°F, transfer to lauter tun, and sparge at 170°F.  I have tried skipping the mash off and got significantly lower yield,  probably because the temperature drop in the transfer increases viscosity, and despite the sparge temperature the goods never warm up enough again, I suppose.  I guess if you're using a single vessel the sparge will raise the temperature sufficiently to maintain good flow and diffusion of extract. So yeah, YMMV.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
The only downside is the possible loss of a couple potential gravity points. That potential increases if your sacc rest temperature is on the low side. If you're mashing in the mid to upper 150's, then the loss is probably minor. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:19:06 pm »
The only downside is the possible loss of a couple potential gravity points. That potential increases if your sacc rest temperature is on the low side. If you're mashing in the mid to upper 150's, then the loss is probably minor.

My alpha rest is at 162°F, which is about ideal for running off.  It is indeed a loss of only a couple of gravity points I saw when not mashing off before transfer. (I guess it's a matter of opinion whether that's significant. ) So if you can hit that temperature for runoff with no mash off, you probably wouldn't see any loss.  It's my understanding that a lot of the big breweries end their programs around 163°F. ( I get the idea I'm in the minority using a mash kettle and separate lauter tun. )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:46 am »
I mash off at 170°F, transfer to lauter tun, and sparge at 170°F.  I have tried skipping the mash off and got significantly lower yield,  probably because the temperature drop in the transfer increases viscosity, and despite the sparge temperature the goods never warm up enough again, I suppose.  I guess if you're using a single vessel the sparge will raise the temperature sufficiently to maintain good flow and diffusion of extract. So yeah, YMMV.
This^^^
I do see a difference in my foam using this method. Worth the extra efforts IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:51:44 am »

As far as I can tall, viscosit doesn't enter into it.  The limit of sugar solubility at mash temps would require a 1.300 gravity.  Unless your wort eceeds that, increasing the temp won't allow you to get any more sugar out.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:05:41 am »
Thanks for that info, Denny.  But something is affecting yield, and I'm curious what it is. Maybe Martin could elaborate? He addressed this.  As to Jeff's observation on foam:  I guess even if your alpha rest is on the low side, if you mash off you at least pass through the 162°-163°F range and gain some benefit in glycoprotein development.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:17:09 am »
Thanks for that info, Denny.  But something is affecting yield, and I'm curious what it is. Maybe Martin could elaborate? He addressed this.  As to Jeff's observation on foam:  I guess even if your alpha rest is on the low side, if you mash off you at least pass through the 162°-163°F range and gain some benefit in glycoprotein development.

What I found by checking conversion efficiency is that the hotter temp is increasing conversion slightly.  So it's more that additonal sugar is being created more than you're drawing more out of the mash.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 10:20:39 am »
You mean, one last burst off alpha activity before it's denatured?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:46 am »
You mean, one last burst off alpha activity before it's denatured?

Yep, that's what it looks like to me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:29:50 am »

What I found by checking conversion efficiency is that the hotter temp is increasing conversion slightly.  So it's more that additonal sugar is being created more than you're drawing more out of the mash.
Interesting and thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:29 am »

I meant to dig out my old refractometer today and compare the mash before and after the mash off.  Forgot.
Curious about this!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »
My impression is that the increase is due to the extra heat extracting a bit more from the kernals.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks